Making a Sea Urchin Ornament
Good job on the video as well Frank.I still have a couple of urchins,gonna have to try your method of making it all in one piece.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Nice!

I made some last year. I found that the only way my urchin shells (collected here in SW Florida) would not simply crumble in my hands was to pour glue inside them, swirl it around to coat the inside surface then let the excess drain. 

I used epoxy at first, but found that standard wood glue works just as well and is easy to work with.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Nice!

I made some last year. I found that the only way my urchin shells (collected here in SW Florida) would not simply crumble in my hands was to pour glue inside them, swirl it around to coat the inside surface then let the excess drain. 

I used epoxy at first, but found that standard wood glue works just as well and is easy to work with.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
(12-21-2017, 08:22 PM)handi Wrote: Nice!

Thanks Ralph.  Yes, the first step is to paint the inside with white wood glue (or Elmers).  The regular yellow glue sometimes seeps through and discolors the thinner ornaments.  Then I use a sanding mandrel I made on the drill press to make the holes uniform.  Here's that process:

I bought mine from Craft supply and never had an issue with them breaking.I have never used glue on the inside of them.Frank I like your idea for sanding the hole round,I have been using a dremel and a sanding sleeve.I made a gauge with various sizes on it to get the proper size tenon to fit the hole.I am going to look in to making a sanding mandrel,thanks for the ideas.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(12-22-2017, 08:38 AM)badwhiskey Wrote: Thanks Ralph.  Yes, the first step is to paint the inside with white wood glue (or Elmers).  The regular yellow glue sometimes seeps through and discolors the thinner ornaments.  Then I use a sanding mandrel I made on the drill press to make the holes uniform.  Here's that process:

Interesting technique on the sanding mandrel. I just turned a spigot on the end of the wood parts to fit each urchin! Never only one way to do a thing in woodworking!
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com