Draining a water heater annually?
(12-16-2017, 04:37 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I can't afford that amount of garden hose.
Laugh

When I drain ours, I remove the drain valve and scrap the sediment out. I made a scraper from a 1/8x1/2 piece of flat iron. The end is spoon shaped.

I used to use something just like that too to get around the corners so the vacuum could pick it up.
(12-16-2017, 09:10 AM)johndi Wrote: So we just had a new water heater installed with our new furnace ( 50 gallon BW natural gas) and I thought I remembered that it was recommended to turn off and drain the tank once a year?
Does anyone do this and is there any benefit?

Thanks
I drain mine yearly and check the anode tube (probably the one most important thing to do to lengthen a WH life).
Here is a great site for all things about water heaters:

http://waterheatertimer.org/Clean-sedime...shelectric
Thanks for the link!
about how long does it take to drain?  My estimates are off because I have never done it until the thing was fully crusted over, so the valve was really slow.  Last time I did it, the stuff was enclosing the lower heating element.  Oops, new water heater time
(12-20-2017, 01:06 PM)EricU Wrote: about how long does it take to drain?  My estimates are off because I have never done it until the thing was fully crusted over, so the valve was really slow.  Last time I did it, the stuff was enclosing the lower heating element.  Oops, new water heater time

My daughter can drain a 50-gallon hot water heater in about 5 minutes or less! 
Laugh
the problem with that method is that it refills the water heater at the same time.  I need mine pretty empty because I'm replacing the leak pan and moving it a couple of inches
I drain mine fully. No sloshing around. I then remove the drain valve from the tank, so I can get my homemade scrapper in there and scrap all the residue out of the tank.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-16-2017, 09:10 AM)johndi Wrote: So we just had a new water heater installed with our new furnace ( 50 gallon BW natural gas) and I thought I remembered that it was recommended to turn off and drain the tank once a year?
Does anyone do this and is there any benefit?

Thanks

I just replaced an A.O. Smith 40-gal gas water heater after it lasted 30 years. I drained it once during the 30-year period. I suppose I could have kept it another 10 years. It was still working fine, but everybody said, "Your water heater is 30 years old?"
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
Why drain when you can leave it under pressure and purge? Just wondering why?
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Ours doesn't *purge* out. Buildup sticks to the tank.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020