Wood Identification
About three years ago there was a piece of driftwood washed up on a NC beach. Most of a tree about 40 feet long. Someone took a chain saw to it and cut it up in manageable pieces. I carted one of the pieces off the beach it’s been in my garage/basement . I’m in the proc s of sawing it up. Following are some pictures. I would appreciate your help in figuring out the species.

[Image: AC85E855-453D-4A77-8459-B858CA4E62E3.jpeg]
[Image: B3BB4F92-4775-4DBF-8F71-CD133EC8332E.jpeg]
Not seeing the end grain, I'd say Butternut.

If you have an endgrain pic, id be able to tell.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Trying images again with end grain

[Image: 7SErAh.jpg]
[Image: tfn62S.jpg]
[Image: Ihk00g.jpg]
(12-18-2017, 04:40 PM)gboot Wrote: Trying images again with end grain

[Image: 7SErAh.jpg]
[Image: tfn62S.jpg]
[Image: Ihk00g.jpg]

Sticking with butternut

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Thanks Packerguy,
Butternut got me researching the wood database, either that or maybe Cypress. Butternut seems to have more open pores.
I remember maybe 30 years ago, a man called everything "Oak".
There was soft oak, hard oak, black oak, white oak, sticky oak, and others.
Asking him would probably bring- "Sea oak".
The grain does look like butternut but the endgrain tells a different story. Butternut is a ring porous wood and what you have isn't. Finding it on the beach of the Atlantic kind of means it could be anything... Its it likely that it came from Europe or Africa? Probably not, but it makes a better story. Is it a hard or soft wood? Whatever it is, the grain is very attractive.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Sad 
(12-17-2017, 12:29 PM)gboot Wrote: About three years ago there was a piece of driftwood washed up on a NC beach. Most of a tree about 40 feet long. Someone took a chain saw to it and cut it up in manageable pieces. I carted one of the pieces off the beach it’s been in my garage/basement . I’m in the proc s of sawing it up. Following are some pictures. I would appreciate your help in figuring out the species.

[Image: AC85E855-453D-4A77-8459-B858CA4E62E3.jpeg]
[Image: B3BB4F92-4775-4DBF-8F71-CD133EC8332E.jpeg]
Victimized by Photobucket once again. Can't see the Pic.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
(12-20-2017, 11:17 AM)daddo Wrote: I remember maybe 30 years ago, a man called everything "Oak".
There was soft oak, hard oak, black oak, white oak, sticky oak, and others.
Asking him would probably bring- "Sea oak".

"Sea oak"

Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

My guess is elm.  The zigzag lines in the latewood are a dead giveaway.  Check out the images at the Wood Database.