Can't get my dado stack to the right dimension.
Not to sound like a smart A$$, but do you people really unplug the saw every time you swap out blades. I know its good practice and the "what if" thing. In all my years I have never seen anything that is plugged into an outlet magically turn on all by itself. If that were the case I would think the oven, microwave, coffee maker, ect... should be unplugged after each use. I know someone is going to say you might accidentally hit the switch with your knee, or a mouse might turn it on, or hey it's just your luck. In all honesty, I usually forget to unplug the TS, but I do unplug the router when changing bits only because I remember and it's convenient to do so. Not ripping on anyone here just a question.
(12-27-2017, 11:43 AM)CanoeBoy Wrote: Not to sound like a smart A$$, but do you people really unplug the saw every time you swap out blades.  I know its good practice and the "what if" thing.  In all my years I have never seen anything that is plugged into an outlet magically turn on all by itself.  If that were the case I would think the oven, microwave, coffee maker, ect... should be unplugged after each use.  I know someone is going to say you might accidentally hit the switch with your knee, or a mouse might turn it on, or hey it's just your luck.  In all honesty, I usually forget to unplug the TS, but I do unplug the router when changing bits only because I remember and it's convenient to do so.  Not ripping on anyone here just a question.

I unplug my TS every single time I change a blade. There's a whole host of other TS safety rules I follow as well. 

I still have all 10 fingers.
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
(12-27-2017, 11:43 AM)CanoeBoy Wrote: Not to sound like a smart A$$, but do you people really unplug the saw every time you swap out blades.  I know its good practice and the "what if" thing.  In all my years I have never seen anything that is plugged into an outlet magically turn on all by itself.  If that were the case I would think the oven, microwave, coffee maker, ect... should be unplugged after each use.  I know someone is going to say you might accidentally hit the switch with your knee, or a mouse might turn it on, or hey it's just your luck.  In all honesty, I usually forget to unplug the TS, but I do unplug the router when changing bits only because I remember and it's convenient to do so.  Not ripping on anyone here just a question.

These contact type switches on machinery can come on by a bump, jolt.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have had a tablesaw switch fail, turning on the saw while the switch was off.  I would not have believed it, but I was in the shop and heard the saw go on.  I went to investigate, and the switch was still in the off position, but the saw would not stop until I unplugged it.

This is a lot less likely than bumping the switch accidentally while working on it, or having someone else flip the wrong switch.
I do remember in high school our procedure was to throw the circuit breaker when changing blades. However, this was prohibited at one of the cabinet shops I worked at because we had a circuit breaker blow up on a guy and start a fire. My present employer will not let any circuit breakers thrown without face shield and electrical gloves, and only maintenance mechanics are allowed to do so. People use breakers as switches far too often.

I would agree that unplugging is the proper and practical thing to do. Tha
Couple of suggestions that worked for me:
- Playing cards
- thick glossed cardboard (think oj carton)
- number you dado cutters and shims - keep a record of what combination you used for all cuts, you will need them again
- use a caliper
- make sure there is no crud in your dado slots - wax them

My dado set is 40+ years old. Still have my dad’s cardboard shims.
PJ
Plympton, MA
(12-27-2017, 03:09 PM)CanoeBoy Wrote: I do remember in high school our procedure was to throw the circuit breaker when changing blades.  However, this was prohibited at one of the cabinet shops I worked at because we had a circuit breaker blow up on a guy and start a fire.  My present employer will not let any circuit breakers thrown without face shield and electrical gloves, and only maintenance mechanics are allowed to do so.  People use breakers as switches far too often.

I would agree that unplugging is the proper and practical thing to do.   Tha

I think the deal on that is to not use the circuit breaker to turn off a circuit that is drawing power.  If the machinery on the circuit is idle, I am hoping it is not a problem.  On my big twin tank compressor we would plug it in or unplug it each day and the surge from the power going on eventually burned up the plug.

I now have it hardwired into my crawl space and was planning on using the circuit breaker to turn it off and on.  I may want to reconsider until I get a face shield and electrical gloves?
A carpenter's house is never done.

I was a safety inspector in the AF for a while and did some inspections on fires and there are a lot of fires from things left like that plug in.  Also if there is an electrical storm and it hits the house it can cause a surge and might kick in the TS or other power tools left plugged in as well.  That is one of the reasons I either unplug or just undo the circuit breaker for the whole thing.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-02-2018, 10:56 AM)photobug Wrote: I think the deal on that is to not use the circuit breaker to turn off a circuit that is drawing power.  If the machinery on the circuit is idle, I am hoping it is not a problem.  On my big twin tank compressor we would plug it in or unplug it each day and the surge from the power going on eventually burned up the plug.

I now have it hardwired into my crawl space and was planning on using the circuit breaker to turn it off and on.  I may want to reconsider until I get a face shield and electrical gloves?

I recently unplugged my Radial Arm Saw.  I drew an arc at the plug and thought.... what the heck?? Then I remembered, it has a Low Voltage Control box.  The transformer is constantly drawing current. As I rocked the plug back and forth just a little, it drew an arc as it was approaching a closed circuit.  I bet using a breaker as a switch for this machine would result in a significant lifespan reduction of the breaker. I guess I should see how much current each LVC is drawing.  I wish each of these machines had a circuit breaking on/off switch.

Pet peeve / rant:    I wish everything in the house had a true on/off switch! One of my TVs has a very poor design, drop the power on it and it takes 15 minutes for a channel scan. I had an icom hand held ham radio with a soft on/off switch.  The fully charged battery would only last a week or so while sitting and not being turned on before the battery was drained. I replaced it with a much lesser radio with a true on/off switch and that one will last 6 months sitting without being turned on and still have 80 percent of its charge!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.
My MM16 bandsaw draws current while plugged in and not running.
I keep it unplugged. It shares a receptacle with my Jet edge sander so I have to switch them back and forth. I try and keep it unplugged if I've used it.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020