Mountain Ash
The mountain ash in the back yard lost a limb to high winds recently. Today I cut the branch up and was surprised to see that the heartwood was very dark, as dark as walnut. I'm going to air dry some pieces, it's small but there's enough for some knife scales.
Couldn't find anything online about the qualities of American mountain ash wood. (Plenty about Australian mountain ash which is in the eucalyptus family and not the same tree.) Anyone have any experience using mountain ash? The tree is on it's last legs and will have to come down in the next couple of years.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
I don't know....   However I have one plank of red oak that is unusually dark in color as well.   Would like to hear more as the responses come in.

Chris
Chris
Mountain Ash is a pretty tree, liked by wildlife and gardeners. Not a large growing tree, although one up the block is at least 20 years old and about 40' tall. What I found: 

WOOD PRODUCTS VALUE :
The wood of American mountain-ash is light, soft, weak, and close
grained.  The heartwood is pale brown; the sapwood is thick and lighter
in color [39].  The wood is not commercially important [21].

https://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plan...MANAGEMENT CONSIDERATIONS

You can always challenge commercial interests and try using it for something. I have messed around with Rhododendron as diversion from heavy pruning.
(12-19-2017, 07:22 PM)hbmcc Wrote: You can always challenge commercial interests and try using it for something.

Well, there's this: "The American Mountain Ash was believed by American settlers in the 18th century to be powerful in exorcising witches..."
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
(12-19-2017, 05:42 PM)rectangle618 Wrote: The mountain ash in the back yard lost a limb to high winds recently.  Today I cut the branch up and was surprised to see that the heartwood was very dark, as dark as walnut.  I'm going to air dry some pieces, it's small but there's enough for some knife scales.  
Couldn't find anything online about the qualities of American mountain ash wood.  (Plenty about Australian mountain ash which is in the eucalyptus family and not the same tree.)  Anyone have any experience using mountain ash?  The tree is on it's last legs and will have to come down in the next couple of years.

I am familiar with two mountain ashes here in Eastern United States. Mountain ashes are not ashes but are members of the genus Sorbus, in the Rose family.

American mountain ash, Sorbus americana is a small tree growing on rocky ridge tops and in bogs in the mountains from Georgia to Maine. it is shown as growing in one Illinois county, Ogle, by the USDA. The trees tend to be under 8 inches in diameter and the wood is dark, soft and weak. 

It is more likely that you have European mountain ash, Sorbus acuparia, which is widely planted as a yard tree because of its bright berries which persist into winter. Apparently the wood is considerably harder.

In France, another sorb, Sorbus domestica, is quite hard and has been used for making planes. They call it Cormier.
(12-20-2017, 09:48 AM)wmickley Wrote: American mountain ash, Sorbus americana is a small tree growing on rocky ridge tops and in bogs in the mountains from Georgia to Maine. it is shown as growing in one Illinois county, Ogle, by the USDA. The trees tend to be under 8 inches in diameter and the wood is dark, soft and weak. 

It is more likely that you have European mountain ash, Sorbus acuparia, which is widely planted as a yard tree because of its bright berries which persist into winter. Apparently the wood is considerably harder.

Thanks for that, Warren. You're probably right about my tree being the European, Sorbus aucuparia. I planted the thing over 20 years ago, so it's not a native. Good news on the wood being harder. When it comes down, I'll investigate further.
Mike B.