Antler
I have some deer antler that I'm working on turning (pun intended) into pen blanks.  Since the shapes are both irregular and quite frequently curved, getting them in my pen vise for accurate drilling is a challenge.  I'm wondering about getting them between centers where the centers are at the points I want a tube to end up and turning them just enough to get at least some flat sides prior to drilling.  That way the vise has more to grip and the blank is better aligned to where I want the tube to be.   Will this work?
It could work.

You can also sand flats on the sides of the antler to make it better fit in your vice Jaws for drilling.
My only concern there is using the lathe ensures the flats, well not flats just straight sides, stay parallel to each other. Plus the centers automatically mark the blank for drilling.
Smile
(12-20-2017, 11:19 AM)crokett™ Wrote: My only concern there is using the lathe ensures the flats, well not flats just straight sides, stay parallel to each other.  Plus the centers automatically mark the blank for drilling.  
Smile

You can straighten the antler by boiling it in water and then put into your vice to slowly straighten it in case you didn't know this, It works very well.
there was a discussion on that here recently. I may try that also. I need to find an old pot first. My wife is going to get upset if I use one of her good ones. It's also quicker for me to throw the antler on the lathe and knock a bit off than soak, boil etc. Straightening does let me use longer sections in one piece though.
(12-21-2017, 01:37 PM)crokett™ Wrote: there was a discussion on that here recently.  I may try that also.  I need to find an old pot first.  My wife is going to get upset if I use one of her good ones.  It's also quicker for me to throw the antler on the lathe and knock a bit off than soak, boil etc.  Straightening does let me use longer sections in one piece though.
You may know this already but you can "color" antler, horn and bone using Potassium Permanganate...Case Cutlery uses it on their bone handles and I am sure other knife makers do as well...I think I still have a container of it out in the garage somewhere..I used it on my knife handles years ago..It will also stain your skin and you have to "wear it off'..People that sell farm/ranch supplies usually have it..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

pick up a cheap pot for antler at any yard sale or thrift store
Yes  Don't take a chance on poking the bear
Laugh

since you already have an antler thread going, New question if you don't mind crokett
If a person was to segment antler what Glue would be the best choice to adhere antler to it's self?
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Any segmenting I've done I've used either CA (superglue) or epoxy. For semi-porous like antler, epoxy or a medium-thick CA. thin epoxy will kinda disappear into what's being glued. Epoxy has a bit more open time and is not instant grab, if that matters to you.