another build thread...
Excellent progress.
Smile

What can you share about your wood rebate plane, Bandit?
Raised
(01-23-2018, 01:07 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: Excellent progress.
Smile

What can you share about your wood rebate plane, Bandit?
Raised

Sandusky 1-1/4 wide skewed plane, I picked for $10 a couple years ago?   I use it like a big shoulder plane.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(01-23-2018, 01:23 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Sandusky 1-1/4 wide skewed plane, I picked for $10 a couple years ago?   I use it like a big shoulder plane.

Cool.
Cool
Legs were cramping, need to dig a splinter out from under a fingernail...hammer thought  my left thumb was the top of a chisel...Bandsaw tried to fall apart....yep...one of them days.  
No    I got the filler strips ripped, out of 3/4" plywood.....

A spot of glue to hold them in place.    Bandsaw was reset, for 1-1/2" width.....to rip a few pieces for a face frame...had to stop, and fix the bandsaw....grrrr
Upset  and install another blade. 

Got the pieces ripped, but they needed jointed....had to set things up on the bench for that..

Then some layout, once all the edges were jointed, to figure out  these things..

Then chop a few mortises....and then try a glue up..

Will let this set overnight....try to install it tomorrow?    Just another day at the office...
Rolleyes 
Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Cold is still kicking my rearend..
No ..feeling under the weather, today.    Not much got done.

Dry fit of the face frame....meh...will need to add a thin strip to the outside edges of the stiles....Came out about 3/16" too narrow.   Have one glued in place, will need to rip another...tomorrow....IF I am feeling better.  
Rolleyes

Need to get the case attached to the base, after both are upstairs, and out of the shop...need the room to build a raised panel door for the bookcase.
Morning off to a decent start...wonder how long it will last
Uhoh 
Top has a cove detail added.....has been drilled and counter bored for plugs....
Face frame has been drilled and counter bored for plugs...
Cleats added to hold the bookcase in place.....
Sooooo, how about a few pictures?    aka PIP?
Winkgrin 

cleats...

Cove detail.    Nobody can see the top of the top, so the cove is on the bottom edge, instead...

Bookcase face frame.....installed, awaiting plugs...

Yep, going to be a tall one.    PIP.  Need to build a door, next....
Tried to get a bit more done today....fought with dull blades on the bandsaw.....threw them out, installed a new blade....wasn't much better, wanted to follow the grain a bit too well....Finally got four parts ripped to width....wavy as all get out....we have ways..
Uhoh 

Used whatever size plane that would do the job.    There are two rails sitting there....had to joint all the edges...whew...got the stiles done as well...just a bit longer parts, is all..
Rolleyes 

Clamped in place, so I can figure out all the sizes needed....set up the Stanley45 as a plough plane

Got the rails done, and then did the stiles.....

Then did a bit of figuring..to see how big a panel I need to glue up, to make the raised panel.    18-3/4"  x 27-3/4"
Need to chop a few mortises.  Cut a plank or two, and do a glue up....tomorrow....did quite enough, for one day....had a mess on the floor to sweep up, too
Uhoh 

They were getting a bit crunchy under-foot
Uhoh ...
Stay tuned....
Winkgrin
Busy morning.....hauled the last two planks of Ash to the shop....cross cut to ~28" or so...
I got four planks from two boards......one had a nasty knot.    Needed around 18-3/4" or so in width..three boards were too narrow..four boards were too wide.....IF I were to rip one board down a bit, to get to the width needed...I could also remove that knot
Cool 

None of the edges were straight, couple boards were cupped....had to face plane a few....
Angry 

To remove the cup.   Metal straight edge was for when I was jointing the edges....finally got a couple boards done, and test fitted..

Then marked so the edges will go back together....worked my way along..had to sweep the floor a few times
No 

Ankle deep?   Finally got all the boards planed, time for a bead of glue?
Winkgrin  

I added a couple cauls, to pull things flat....
Cool  

I think I will let this sit awhile, and let the glue cure.    I should have gotten that fan set up, and running..I am soaked.   May have worked a bit too hard
Rolleyes  for two hours?  Now everything I move wants to cramp up
No 

Maybe tomorrow, I  can get this unclamped, squared up, flattened a little bit better. and then start to raise a panel...
Stay tuned....may be a busy weekend coming up...
Winkgrin
Cool
Well, cussing was at an all time high..today..panel came out of the clamps, needing trimmed square..
Uhoh  

Got that taken care of....set up a fan...
Cool 

Either the shop is too warm...or..I am working wat too hard
Rolleyes
Laugh
Winkgrin  

Flattened the high spots down....Laid out to start the raise panel stuff
Cool 

And set up a few planes..

To make these bevels.   Millers Falls #14 and a couple of Stanley #4 planes.   One set coarse, the other set fine.

Stay tuned....lot more got done today
Paul Sellers uses just a #4 plane to raise a few small panels....held in his vise, so the camera can watch....I lay my panels flat on the bench

Just easier for me.   I plane a bevel on the end grain ends first.   A line was marked about 1-1/2" back from the edge....once that line has been erased...I switch to the other end, and repeat....then I set up to do the edges, next..

Until I get a 45 degree "corner"

then turn the panel around, and repeat on the last edge.    Panel is a bit too thick, as is..so...

A Wards (Stanley) #78 was used on the inside of the panel, working on the end grain, again

This way, IF there is any blow out, the next step will erase it

Stay tuned, more to come...
Winkgrin