another build thread...
(01-01-2018, 04:17 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Today being a Monday
Uhoh , AND a holiday.
Yes ..woodshop is closed.
Winkgrin   Have a Happy New Year, People
Winkgrin

Thanks Bandit!   We'll be here when you come back....
Skip

Went to the shop today, to take my mind off other problems here in the house
Upset
Upset
Upset 
Got to working on the rest of the face frame..

Once all three mortises were chopped, and the tenons fine tuned...then the fights broke out..
Uhoh 

Not the easiest thing to do, by oneself.   Finally was able to get this "thing" off the bench.   Had to clear the top of the bench.

Needed to cut the 1/4" plywood down, one piece for a bottom of the drawer, then what was left became the back of the case.   Had to trim it for width, too..then I hoisted the case up onto the bench...
Uhoh   

And glued, screwed and nailed the back in place...

Then I had to place this thing back onto it's own four feet.    Drilled a couple holes through the top webframe near the center, and added a few slotted holes out near  the front and back edges...Bench was cleared off, next up?

This is the underside of the top....spent a while, flattening it enough to attach the base to it..

That will be in Part 2 of today's adventures....stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Roh-Kay, Raggy....Got the case somehow up onto the top panel.....roughly centered.    One end of the top will need trimmed off, along with a bit of the front edge.....first, needed to drive a few screws..

One went into the center, and a couple front and back.    Screws were a bit too long.   I drove each in enough to get a start into the top, then the grinder removed enough of the screw (1/8" or so..) and then I drove each home.   Surprise..none came through the top, for a change
Rolleyes 

Then, I flipped the case back onto the floor, and started to trim the top to size...

One end was set, the other end needed trimmed down a bit ( almost an inch..)and the front edge needed to loose that "live edge"  along with making sure the top was square....

Top was also flattened a bit, and the corners were rounded..

And that is how I  spent my afternoon....
Rolleyes

Waiting on the glue to cure in the face frame, before I install it.    Stay tuned....
Winkgrin
Making good progress.
Cool

One question tho; did you mean to secure the top before the side there is planned?
(01-03-2018, 11:57 AM)Rick Barton Wrote: Making good progress.
Cool

One question tho; did you mean to secure the top before the side there is planned?

Inside?
Confused   not worried about inside of the case.    Outside?  can still be planed....Easier, now, since it will be easier to hold it still. 
Winkgrin

Errands needed to be run today.....Maybe after everything is put away, I might get something done...
Rolleyes
Very little got done today....spent most of the shop time working on this...
Uhoh 

Getting closer to flat....will sit the case on it's side, next time, and work on each side panel...
Made a dusty mess down there, today...
No 

Good news for today....if any?
Rolleyes   the face frame caame out of the clamps, without blowing apart
Raised  

Had to break up a cat fight..got a hole in my hand from the Tom.
Upset ...threw his butt out the door.    Lucky I didn't use my foot
Upset 

First aid for the hand.   Tater Tot  Caserole for supper....shop can wait until tomorrow...
Rolleyes 

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin

BTW:   I could use a few extra hands, when it comes time to glue and clamp the face frame in place.....going to take every clamp in the shop.    Might even counter sink a few screws, and cover them with Walnut plugs....we'll see.   might even make R. Lee Ermy blush.....
Rolleyes
Ran a bunch of errands today....too tired to go to the shop....rather it would be unsafe for me.  
No 

Will have to go back, and widen the grooves on the face frame, just a tad.....maybe load up the next sized cutter?
Confused    Need a little leeway for things to fit  up just right.    May predrill a few holes and counter-bore them.   Then try to find my 3/8" plug cutter bit.    Whether to make Ash , or Walnut plugs....that is the question....
Confused
Winkgrin

Might just go and hide out all day, tomorrow, in the shop?  
Winkgrin Stay tuned, for the next exciting episode
Cool
Got bored last night.....reset the Stanley #45 with the next size cutter.....that WAS all I thought I was going to do...
Uhoh  

Tried different ways to clamp the face frame  down, so the groove could be widened....Wound up ON the bench...still moved a bit, but
Finally got both grooves widened.  Took the extra out on the outside edge.  Cutter #12 was replaced with cutter 13.  

Went digging around, looking for one of the very few Veritas toys I have in the shop..

A 3/8" tapered Plug cutter.   The yellow box is my Forstner bit set.   Used the 3/8" bit from that, on my H-F drill press, to drill a few counter-bores...

Was a bit of a challenge, to get these drilled.   Had to get the locations under the bit, and still be able to reach the handle to actually drill the holes.   Needed 9 of these.   Thought I could use a cordless drill for the pilot holes....Eggbeaters were hanging around, was too tired to use them....used another "Vintage" drill, since it was already set up with a bit..
Uhoh  

Ward's POWRKRAFT 3/8" drill.    Drilled the 9 pilot holes....set the frame down where it will go, later today..

All clamps are ready, glue bottle and screws are handy, Batteries for the drill/drivers are charged up, new phillips #2 tip installed

Should be a "fun" day, today
Uhoh  let the cussing begin
Winkgrin  stay tuned.....
While getting enough "Gumption" to go to the shop, was looking over a plank of Ash,,,thinking it MIGHT work as a drawer front?
Confused  

Maybe this face out?   As the other is a bit more "plain"..
Rolleyes

Ok, supplies in hand, off to the shop, ear plugs need to be in, as the cussing gets......grrrr
Angry  

Almost as many screws, as there is clamps.   Half a bottle of glue, too
Rolleyes 
Let this sit a day.  

Hauled that plank to the shop... 

Right line was the first one...decided to try to center the knot in the 21" long blank, so that meant the left line.  

Cut the line..

And ....have to wait on the next episode
Winkgrin
Since there isn't a "chopsaw" or a tablesaw handy, and the board is a bit too long for the space around the Langdon, used a different type of saw.....cordless one, at that
Rolleyes  

Disston D-112.    Seemed to cut ok..

( Beltsander is DOA...heading for the trash can
No )
So, now I have a blank for the drawer front..

Needed the ends cleaned up, and checked for square..
Cool  

Which left making the blank flat..maybe time for a plane
Confused   

Got things close, will let it set for awhile.   back was getting a bit stiff.  
There was a 21" long piece left over.    I also cut a curvy chunk off the other end  of the plank.....had more curves than a Pin-up
Smirk Just wasn't worth saving.    I got the drawer front and the 21" long blank.    May rip the blank down, and use for parts for one of the doors?

I think that will do, for a Friday?   Stay tuned...
Winkgrin