Need resizing cabinet help
For our new fridge to fit, I need to shorten the cabinet above it. 
It has a mica laminate on it. 
One question is about removing and reusing the laminate. 

Also, to cut off the top or bottom. The crown moulding will come off easy.

I was thinking, if I could remove the laminate and crown, I could run the box over the table saw and cut it down.

Thoughts?

Picture to follow
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer

I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Bingo!
Big Grin
Do those doors line up with any others (on the top edge of the doors)?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
One side is against a wall, and the other side with the crown, butts up to a taller top cabinet.
You are going to want to save the face frame. Chipping the laminate inside is not a worry.  You can always add another piece of formica to the inside to cover any damage.  

I would cut from the top only for the reason that it is going to be less visible.  I would use pocket screws to re-attach the top to the face frame.  If the sides are thick enough I would use pocket screws all around and then use 2" wide white iron on veneer.   Woodcraft sells it; 25 feet for $19.00.  One roll will do the job and leave you with plenty of left over.  

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/melam...gLyn_D_BwE

The stuff is very thin, and I don't think anyone will notice the patch.  A single strip across the sides (inside) will hide all the pocket holes.  The box is small enough that you can probably trim it on your table saw with high tooth count cross cut blade.  A negative hook angle blade does a really clean job on formica.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
New Idea that should work. 
I need to shorten it a minimum of 1 1/4" I believe. When Fridge comes tomorrow, I will know exact size.

Anyhow, the crown moulding sticks up 1 1/4" above the case. 
I think I will just take the crown off, raise the cabinet 1 1/4", and attach the crown 1/1/4" down, to line up with the crown on adjacent cabinet.
(12-22-2017, 06:36 PM)Pirate Wrote: New Idea that should work. 
I need to shorten it a minimum of 1 1/4" I believe. When Fridge comes tomorrow, I will know exact size.

Anyhow, the crown moulding sticks up 1 1/4" above the case. 
I think I will just take the crown off, raise the cabinet 1 1/4", and attach the crown 1/1/4" down, to line up with the crown on adjacent cabinet.

I like simple....that should do it. May have a little touch up to do on the ceiling where the crown covered it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
This video may give you some inspiration.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA4QdBte5gE

Shows how to resize a cabinet and doors.  I'd warn that the door color matching is not as easy as he makes it look.