Reverse Turning Experiment
Thumbs Up 
I wanted to try reverse turning so today I whipped up this little 3-1/2” ornament.

[Image: ttIHbQ.jpg]

I will be doing more of this!
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
that looks very nice. I have a couple ideas for ornaments similar to that. I've done some reverse-turned flowers. They're popular but I'm not sure I could sell them. It's one of those things where people want them to cost 10 bucks but they need to cost 25 or 30 each.
Very nice ornament Ralph.

Don't suppose you made a video so those of us who don't understand what you're talking about in reverse turning could see you do it? Other than putting your lathe in reverse (spin the opposite direction), I've got nothing.

Steve
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
(12-24-2017, 07:05 AM)sniper Wrote: Very nice ornament Ralph.  

Don't suppose you made a video so those of us who don't understand what you're talking about in reverse turning could see you do it?  Other than putting your lathe in reverse (spin the opposite direction), I've got nothing.

Steve

Steve
It is also sometimes called an inside out turning.In other words has nothing to do with the direction the lathe is spinning.I used to do a lot of them,somewhere I have the instructions,I'll see if I can find them or Ralph has the directions or a video.They are fun things to do.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Steve, you can search on google for inside-out turning. The basic premise is take a piece and turn it (or take 4 pieces, glue them together and turn the outside), then separate them, rotate them 180 degrees and turn finish the turning. I have made a few flowers using this method.
Steve
Crokett has it right.https://www.woodturningonline.com/projects.php?catid=44,try this site,should answer your question.It shows the angel I did on there as well.Good lock and have fun.

Mel
https://www.woodturningonline.com/projects.php?catid=44
(12-24-2017, 09:02 AM)daddo Wrote: https://www.woodturningonline.com/projects.php?catid=44

Thanks daddo.

Mel
:headslap: That's what being sick will do for ya. I should have realized that. Thanks for the link, I'm going to have to try that sometime.
Yes
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
(12-24-2017, 11:52 AM)sniper Wrote: :headslap:  That's what being sick will do for ya.  I should have realized that.  Thanks for the link, I'm going to have to try that sometime.
Yes

One tip is that I use unglued wall board tape for gluing the parts together temporarily. It is thick enough to split easily, but not so thick as to be a problem. Being 2” wide on a roll makes storage easy and I can cut off whatever length I need. I figured this out a few years back when I needed a bunch of turned half columns. Since I mostly use it for spindle work, it is perfect.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.