Loading process at Menard's
(12-23-2017, 01:22 PM)Overland1 Wrote: I have a pickup and a 16' trailer and load them both when I go. Most of the time is spent waiting on outside help staging and loading. Also waiting at the entrance gate and filling out paperwork for returns. If you just go into the store to return something or buy a few small items it's no problem, or if they are not busy. I have visited with others in the yard that are getting large loads that take just as long. This is common occurrence on large orders. I have also had to travel across the city several times to the other Menard's to complete an order.

Sorry to hear your Menards is FUBAR. That's shocking. I have one that is a block away that is great, and two that are less than 10 minutes that are not as good, but nowhere like what you're describing.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(12-23-2017, 01:22 PM)Overland1 Wrote:  Most of the time is spent waiting on outside help staging and loading. 

i dont even bother waiting for help out there.pull up,load myself(and look myself when its something i dont see),and back to the gate.
i dont know if theres a menards with usefull help in yard,but not the local one. only time i asked for help locating stuff,i dont think the kid could find his hand in his pocket.
where i found the most useful help was the area where deliveries are set up.
If i'm buying lumber at Menard's  I allow quite a bit of time to sort through  the pile to hopefully find some that is usable for something other than fire wood.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
I miss Menards
Yep.  I've been a sad witness to the Menards clustermuck many, many times.  

Custom orders where they can't find all pieces, running all over the yard trying to find someone to help find or forklift an item, piles and piles of damaged or poor quality wood that is unsuitable for use, damaged special orders...  It never ends.

A couple of tips:

I have the front desk number programmed into my phone.  If I'm back in the yard and can't find any help (which is about half the time), I just call the front desk and tell them I'm a general contractor and need to talk to the MOD.  I then explain that I'm back in the Ghost Town that is their yard and I can't see one darn employee anywhere within 1000 feet of me.  That usually gets the whip cracked and somebody drives over post-haste. 

With special orders, I just go to the lumber desk and make them call over an employee to help me.  Then that person becomes my personal employee until EVERYTHING is found, loaded, and done.  I don't let them hand me off or "call someone else". 

Inspect EVERYTHING right there.  If anything is damaged or looks damaged, get it sorted out then and there.  

If I'm having trouble finding usable material in a bundle of lumber or sheet goods, again, I get an employee or call the MOD and explain I need a new bundle brought over because everything in this bundle is damaged and unsuitable for use.  If they point to somewhere down in the stack and say, "There's some good stuff there", then I say OK, start unstacking and load it.  That tends to get some PO'd looks but I don't care.  Only way they'll start actually rejecting materials is to make them feel the pain of going through a stack of the bad cr@p.

Menards is a necessary "experience" around here, but I've found you can at least share the pain.

Grouse