band saw blade guides
How important are ball bearing blade guides as opposed to rube blocks on a band saw? I will be buying a saw soon and would like to know if I need bearings. Thank you Wayne
(12-24-2017, 02:22 PM)waynesl Wrote: How important are ball bearing blade guides as opposed to rube blocks on a band saw? I will be buying a saw soon and would like to know if I need bearings. Thank you Wayne

Used 'em both, currently using ceramics for 1/4" blades and up, phenolics/oiled maple for narrower.  

If I was just resawing, might consider mounting rollers.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(12-24-2017, 02:22 PM)waynesl Wrote: How important are ball bearing blade guides as opposed to rube blocks on a band saw? I will be buying a saw soon and would like to know if I need bearings. Thank you Wayne

I use cool blocks for blades 3/8" wide and wider. I switch to hardwood dowels for narrow blades. This way the dowels can rub close to the teeth without dulling them. I have used roller bearings on other saws, works fine when they roll. They may freeze up . The only roller bearing used all the time would be the thrust bearing that touches the back of the blade. This seems to wear out first. As long as they work ,makes no difference what is used for blade guides.
mike
(12-24-2017, 05:09 PM)mike4244 Wrote: I use cool blocks for blades 3/8" wide and wider. I switch to hardwood dowels for narrow blades. This way the dowels can rub close to the teeth without dulling them. I have used roller bearings on other saws, works fine when they roll. They may freeze up . The only roller bearing used all the time would be the thrust bearing that touches the back of the blade. This seems to wear out first. As long as they work ,makes no difference what is used for blade guides.
mike

Ceramic thrust bearings are available  for many of the common brands.  No need to rotate, invulnerable to sap and water for wet wood turnings. 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.hartvilleto..._popup.jpg
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.

I've had lignum blocks, impregnated cool blocks home made ball bearing guides using router bearings and Carter Ball Bearings...Carter is my choice and it's what I have used for years..zero problems...Keep them adjusted and they wont touch the teeth. They run right up against the blade..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Welcome to the forum.

The cool blocks work great. 

I use the carter guide for blade widths less than 3/8" and cool blocks for 3/8" and greater.  

My advise would be to start with the guides which come with the saw and get used to them, at least for wide blades.  You can upgrade later as you learn, if you wish.

If you want to scroll with the bandsaw, I cannot recommend the Carter Stabilizer guide highly enough.  It makes a huge difference.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe

I much prefer steel or ceramic guide blocks over guide bearings. Guide blocks scrape sawdust, resin, and goo off of the blade, while bearings press it all onto the blade. For very narrow blades you can use Cool Blocks or hardwood blocks. 

--Geoff
OK, ball bearing do work, no doubt.  But keep in mind you have a tiny contact area. Roughly .001 width. Compared to blocks there is a huge difference. in contact area. 

If you go the Carter Site.   http://www.carterproducts.com/band-saw-p...saw-guides     You see lots of ball bearing options.  But if you go down to the micro-precision guides at the bottom you will see this in the description of two of them.

The Micro-Precision ball bearing rub block guide provides full contact with the blade for maximum accuracy.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

I've used about everything. Current MM16 came with bearings, and they are fine. Havent found a need to change anything
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Blocks cut from scrap Corian. They seem to work and like wooden blocks if they wear it's easy enough to cut more.