Bandsaw issues
(12-28-2017, 10:40 AM)jlanciani Wrote: Some of the European motors don't use a centrifugal switch in the motor, they use a voltage relay potted into the top of the capacitor can to open the start circuit. I've had two fail; one I caught in time, the other destroyed the start winding when it failed in the closed position and overheated the winding.

An excellent point.  I haven't seen them integrated into a start capacitor, but it's common to have a separate potential relay on HVAC compressors.  And some radial arm saws, like my 2 hp Delta.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(12-29-2017, 12:57 PM)TDKPE Wrote: An excellent point.  I haven't seen them integrated into a start capacitor, but it's common to have a separate potential relay on HVAC compressors.  And some radial arm saws, like my 2 hp Delta.

The CEG motors on my Euro machines have them right in the cap. One issue is that the relays seem to run hot on 60Hz. Probably why they fail.