Delta 46-250 midi lathe weight?
I inherited a Delta 46-250 midi lathe from my Uncle.  It's now going to get stored but I need an approximate weight for it.  Everything is stock and also has the Delta metal legs.

Any ideas on how much it all weighs?  I remember that headstock was a beast.  Certain links I've found only list it at 85lbs but that can't be right.  All told, it's got to be around 250-300lbs, right?

Thanks,
Paul
Bathroom scales will get you to an approximate weight.  You may need 2 to weigh a lathe.

Sometimes I weight items which will not sit on a bathroom scale.  I weigh myself, then hold the object and take the weight again.  If it is 85 pounds, that is doable.  If it is 250, it is not.

Just a thought.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(12-26-2017, 04:19 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: I inherited a Delta 46-250 midi lathe from my Uncle.  It's now going to get stored but I need an approximate weight for it.  Everything is stock and also has the Delta metal legs.

Any ideas on how much it all weighs?  I remember that headstock was a beast.  Certain links I've found only list it at 85lbs but that can't be right.  All told, it's got to be around 250-300lbs, right?

Thanks,
Paul

106#

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-21-5-in-x...OoQAvD_BwE
(12-29-2017, 10:45 AM)Bob Atchison Wrote: 106#

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-21-5-in-x...OoQAvD_BwE

That's not a 46-250 manual.  Manual-quoted weight for a lathe generally doesn't include the stand, or accessories like bed extension, chuck, live center, etc.  I second the vote to use bathroom scales.   One source says it weighs 85 lbs., which sounds in the ballpark for a short bed 1/2 HP lathe. I'd be quite surprised if the lathe weighs as much as you estimate. If the headstock is "a beast", I'm wondering if it really is a 46-250. A 1/2 HP motor is typical for a mini-lathe, so it wouldn't make sense to have a larger headstock. More typical midi-lathes have 3/4 or 1 HP motors.

http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/f...he-review/
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
It looks like the lathe without legs, chucks, or accessories is 85lbs. According to Amazon, the original shipping weight was 93lbs.

According to Home Depot, the stand is probably a 46-462 and weighs 60lbs.

If there is abed extension, I would guess that that would add ~80lbs.

It does breakdown easily for transport.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Not my lathe but close to it, and it weighs ~350 lbs.    The 46-250 can't weigh that much.  I've moved a Rikon that's about the same size as a 250 and could carry it by myself. 

[Image: 9090-delta-46-541s.jpg]
OK, I guess I need to eat my Wheaties.

I told shipping people 350lbs just to overestimate.  I didn't weigh the parts as I disassembled it, but I can believe the headstock is north of 60lbs.  The bed must be 50lbs.  The tailstock another 20lbs.  The legs are probably just 20lbs.