how long has Dewalt had XRP lithium batteries?
I just noticed them.  Looks like you need a different charger, which is to be expected.  Not sure if I want to go that way, maybe I'll wait until the Chinese knock-offs show up.
Quite a while.....no idea how they compare quality wise to the 20v max line. They've never became popular.

Best bet is to invest in the converter to use 20v max batteries in the old 18v line.

Ed
that's interesting, there was recently a thread on here where someone was complaining that Dewalt promised lithium ion batteries for the 18v tools and didn't deliver, but  here they are.  

I ordered some of the converters from a Chinese vendor on ebay, but it seems I was the victim of a scam.  Seller doesn't have any listings, but seems to have reappeared under a different user name.
(12-26-2017, 06:17 PM)EricU Wrote: I just noticed them.  Looks like you need a different charger, which is to be expected.  Not sure if I want to go that way, maybe I'll wait until the Chinese knock-offs show up.

I had mine for at least 10 years.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
We had dozens of those on the tool trailer a few years ago. They worked OK and were a bit lighter, used to be pretty expensive compared to the new 20v batteries. They are only a 2 amp hour pack and that's easily matched by even the compact 20v packs, while full sized 20v batteries can be 2-3 times more capacity.

Had a pretty significant investment in 18v tools but they just could not compare, I was switched over completely to 20v within about a year. A better option is to get the adapter that allows you to use the new 20v batteries on old 18v tools. It works well and helps you to keep using the old tools going while giving you an easier upgrade path when the old tools fail.
seems strange that they would be much different in weight or size than the 20v packs, but they are. Price is roughly the same though.

I'm a little surprised there are no Chinese knock-offs.  I think one of my 18v knock-offs   is near the end of the road.