How To Hold This Piece
(12-27-2017, 11:49 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: I am curious too as to the original orientation of the stock photo vases pieces before they were turned around. Were they turned 90 or 180 degrees?

Anyone? Buehler?
(12-28-2017, 05:14 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Anyone?  Buehler?

Typically, you glue four square pieces into one larger square blank, turn the section you want to be hollow, then split them apart, turn them 180 degrees, and glue them back together before turning the whole piece.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(12-28-2017, 06:21 PM)handi Wrote: Typically, you glue four square pieces into one larger square blank, turn the section you want to be hollow, then split them apart, turn them 180 degrees, and glue them back together before turning the whole piece.

this is correct.  I have also seen it done to turn one large square blank, then cut that and re-glue it.  I am not confident enough in my bandsaw skills to do it that way.
So I ended up drilling the flower to 5/16" and threading it onto an 8mm mandrel I got at as a gift. The finished flower is not my best work by any stretch, but my MIL was very happy to get it as a gift.