Miter Station Finished!
Smile 
It's finished!!! A while back I posted  my plans for a miter saw station and got lots of great feedback from all of you and thought I'd share the final result. I ultimately changed my original plan, (to buy cheap Ikea cabinets), and built my own out of prefinished birch plywood instead. I went with maple tops instead of birch because I ordered them first before deciding to build the cabinets and deciding on the material. I finished up the last of the drawers today and I'm pleased how the whole thing turned out. I decided to keep the T-track simple and just use one per top to fasten a stop to per a suggestion from Carl10. I've included some photos that show the dust collection and the basic carcass construction.

I'm thinking about adding a deep wall cabinet above the dust hood now since there's a lot of dead space above it, but I will have to use a step ladder to get to it.  It would be a great place to store seldom used supplies, jigs and stuff.

[Image: MiterStation.jpg]
The full finished miter station

[Image: Detail2.jpg]
One of two stops I made today after I finished the drawers. 

[Image: Detail1.jpg]
The Big Gulp behind the LS1013. I've made a few cuts to test the setup and it works great sucking up the dust that doesn't make it to the 2 1/2" DC hose

[Image: DC5.jpg]
The chip and small cutoff barrel under the saw connected to the Big Gulp and 4" SDR PVC to the DC

[Image: DC4.jpg]

[Image: DC3.jpg]

[Image: DC2.jpg]

[Image: DC1.jpg]

[Image: Carcuses.jpg]
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
Nice looking work on the cabinet! A few questions:

What kind of wood did you use for the top?
How does the can get emptied? Do you have to unhook the hoses and lift it out?

Thanks,

Doug
(12-26-2017, 11:37 PM)Tapper Wrote: Nice looking work on the cabinet! A few questions:

What kind of wood did you use for the top?
How does the can get emptied? Do you have to unhook the hoses and lift it out?

Thanks,

Doug

The tops are maple. I purchased them pre-made from Global Industrial. The ring clamp on the drum allows me to unlock it and lift the lid up and to the back and then I can lift the drum out to empty it.
Nice design and workmanship! I really like the DC system you rigged up.
Beautiful work. Lets see some pix of the rest of the shop.
(12-27-2017, 07:16 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: Beautiful work.  Lets see some pix of the rest of the shop.

I'll take some in the next couple of days. I'm still working out of plastic bins and want to put away some of that stuff in the miter station cabinets and drawers. I still need to build some tall cabinets and put up some wood storage before I get down to some serious wood working. I also need to put in a cyclone and permanent DC ducting but that will have to wait a few more months before I have the $$.
Great looking miter station, one of my next projects. Any plans or was this your own design?
Nice looking setup.

I like the dust collection on the slider.

Good job!
chris
(12-27-2017, 09:57 AM)sreilly24590 Wrote: Great looking miter station, one of my next projects. Any plans or was this your own design?

It's my own design. The first design was linked in my original post but here is the collection of Sketchup drawings I worked from: Miter Station 3D Warehouse collection
I added a storage cabinet over the dust hood in a new drawing this morning. I went out and bought 2 more sheets of pre-finished Birch plywood a little later and got it broken down into the required parts before dinner. I hope to have it finished by Saturday or Sunday if my other plans for Thursday and Friday don't interfere too much.
Coincidentally, my oldest was asking me about building base cabinets for other uses in the shop, and I used your posting to give him an idea of how base cabs are usually built (without face frames).  He uses sketchup (and lurks here) so if it's ok with you, I'll email the link to the sketchup files.  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"