Jointer tune up
(12-28-2017, 11:08 AM)thooks Wrote: How did you know you had a problem previously?  Was it showing up in long board glue-ups?

If so, then make some MINOR adjustments to fix the problem.  Then check everything again.

Yes minor gaps in glue ups, nothing terrible but would like it to be a better fit.
So, how do you know that your inconsistency is not operator induced....feed and pressure related?? That said, I would rather that end be low than high.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I had a similar problem with my 8" Shop Fox jointer earlier this year, except much worse. Discovered that both tables were out of adjustment in both directions. After a few hours of adjustments and using a 6' straight edge that I bought at Home Depot (flatness NOT calibrated), I was able to get the cuts to be pretty flat and at a 90 degree angle - so far, so good. My recommendation is to get it as close as you feel comfortable with. It is worth the time to do it to your own satisfaction IMO.

Good luck,

Doug
See what you did!  Now I have to go check my jointer!!!
Laugh
Laugh

I did fit two 36" boards together nicely this past week, so its gotta be close.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
i spent all dang day trying to tune up my jet 6" (to align it for new shelix)...even moved it into the house (where it was warm).

dangest thing. got the infeed all lined up, level with knives at 0. problem is, all the "advice" i find has to do with making the beds co-planer. did that...sort of...not my problem.

my problem is the outfeed seems to be slightly "tilted." the outfeed side is a wee bit lower on the fence side than the guard side. in other words, i need to cant the outfeed front to back, not end to end (left to right). if that makes any sense.

been trying shims and all manner of gib tightening/loosening without success. quite maddening.

infeed/outfeed tables seem level, so grinding doesn't seem to be necessary.

on to some Grampa juice...and hit it again tomorrow. any insight/suggestions welcome.
(12-29-2017, 09:54 PM)TadMcD Wrote: i spent all dang day trying to tune up my jet 6" (to align it for new shelix)...even moved it into the house (where it was warm).

dangest thing. got the infeed all lined up, level with knives at 0. problem is, all the "advice" i find has to do with making the beds co-planer. did that...sort of...not my problem.

my problem is the outfeed seems to be slightly "tilted." the outfeed side is a wee bit lower on the fence side than the guard side. in other words, i need to cant the outfeed front to back, not end to end (left to right). if that makes any sense.

been trying shims and all manner of gib tightening/loosening without success. quite maddening.

infeed/outfeed tables seem level, so grinding doesn't seem to be necessary.

on to some Grampa juice...and hit it again tomorrow. any insight/suggestions welcome.

put winding sticks on the infeed and outfeed tables in various points to determine if the tables are in plane across the width if they are shim the low side of the head under the bearing block to bring it parallel across the width 

BTW setting the outfeed table first is the more accepted methodology the end results are more important than the beginning
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy