SawStop Zero Clearance Throat Plates
Colleagues: within the last two years or so, I recall reading a how-to-do-it article on shop fabricating zero clearance throat inserts for a SawStop. Been looking through my woodworking library and I cannot find anything.

Dos anyone else recall this?
No....but I fashion my own. I trace the factory insert onto my blank. Cut to fit.
After the insert is made and installed, with the blade ran all the way down, set the fence over on the edge of the insert, being mindful of where the blade is.
Lock the fence down, start the saw up, and gradually raise the blade up into the insert as far as it will raise.
And there you go.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-29-2017, 07:00 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: No....but I fashion my own. I trace the factory insert onto my blank. Cut to fit.
After the insert is made and installed, with the blade ran all the way down, set the fence over on the edge of the insert, being mindful of where the blade is.
Lock the fence down, start the saw up, and gradually raise the blade up into the insert as far as it will raise.
And there you go.

Do you have to remove your riving knife or do you precut a slot for the riving knife or ???
Found it!

Of course it would have helped if I was more organized. Article is in Fine Wood Working, #251, Winter 2016.
(12-29-2017, 07:09 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Do you have to remove your riving knife or do you precut a slot for the riving knife or ???

I precut Phil
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-29-2017, 11:48 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I precut Phil

I just made a couple of inserts, but I have not put the blade through them.  I am planning on post cutting the riving knife slot.  I will remove the riving knife and bring the blade through.  I will then reassemble the riving knife and the stock insert.  I will slip the zero clearance insert over the blade and set the fence.  I will pull the zero clearance insert off the blade and then cut the slot using this setup.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Thanks for the reference! I'm loving my FWW archive subscription so far.
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
Since the factory ZCI is only $40 or so a piece, you should make at least several copies so you can justify your labor and material costs. 

A better deal in my opinion is this (I am not related to this vendor):

https://www.infinitytools.com/saw-blades...wo-inserts

Simon
handplanesandmore: I use the Infinity SawStop inserts. Well worth the price in my opinion.

I asked the question as I was at the local tool supplier a few days ago when a customer asked about shop fabricated throat inserts. A few of us thought there was something in one of the woodworking periodicals, but could not recall which one or when.

Only drawback to shop fabricated inserts for the SawStop is relieving the back to accommodate the arbor unit. Not a really a big deal, but I am getting at "that age" where I like "ease and convenience".
(12-30-2017, 01:41 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: handplanesandmore: I use the Infinity SawStop inserts. Well worth the price in my opinion.

I asked the question as I was at the local tool supplier a few days ago when a customer asked about shop fabricated throat inserts. A few of us thought there was something in one of the woodworking periodicals, but could not recall which one or when.

Only drawback to shop fabricated inserts for the SawStop is relieving the back to accommodate the arbor unit. Not a really a big deal, but I am getting at "that age" where I like "ease and convenience".

Now I understand the background of your question.

I have four SawStop ZCIs (one for dados) but they were bought before Infinity released the SS version. Here, one is better/cheaper than four!

I know a lot of guys making shop accessories. I made my own share as well, but there is a time when commercial products are more cost effective, or time effective. I once had a neighbor who insisted he should make his own framing kind of square with plywood stock. I admired his tenacity, but not his shop wits in many cases.

Simon