Stropping Questions
(12-29-2017, 05:26 PM)Vic M Wrote: 1. Is it worthwhile?

2. I have seen Paul Sellers do it. Is that a curse? (Actually, I like Paul Sellers)

3. Most sharpening videos don't even mention stropping. Is it obsolete?

Any info greatly appreciated. Vic M

1. Yes. I have used a clean strop since 1965

2. Paul Sellers is very clumsy with his sharpening.

3. Anybody can make a video.
(12-30-2017, 07:31 AM)wmickley Wrote: 1. Yes. I have used a clean strop since 1965

2. Paul Sellers is very clumsy with his sharpening.

3. Anybody can make a video.
1. I use both a dry strop, and a green-charged strop.   Have been known to use the pants leg of my jeans to refresh a chisel's edge, while chopping mortises, dovetails, and the like.  

2.  Paul is always in too much of a hurry.....and rushes things.

3.   Anyone ( but me..) can make a video......up to viewer about how big a grain of salt to apply.   Too many are trying to sell something, rather than teach.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Also, as a final strop, I use a brown paper grocery bag on my jointer bed; there is some level of grit in recycled paper.  Try it, you might like it, I do.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-30-2017, 01:42 AM)Rick Barton Wrote:
Raised

Raised
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-30-2017, 10:05 AM)Admiral Wrote: Also, as a final strop, I use a brown paper grocery bag on my jointer bed; there is some level of grit in recycled paper.  Try it, you might like it, I do.

+1...One test that knife makers sometimes use to determine how good a knife steel is {along with the hardening and tempering} is cutting cardboard...They test the steel by how many inches of cardboard it will cut before the edge starts tearing instead of cutting...Paper contains silica, just like most things on earth and it is abrasive.

IMO, if a person thinks a blade does not need stropping, they should try shaving with a straight razor that has been honed to a fine grit but not stropped.....Why would anyone NOT want the sharpest edge possible whether shaving or wood working??? If I could I would sharpen to a "one atom" edge, then adjust the angle to the point that the durability of the edge is acceptable to me. The steel will let you know very quickly..
Crazy
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-30-2017, 11:24 AM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Raised

Upset
(12-30-2017, 01:09 PM)Rick Barton Wrote:
Upset

Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused
Sleep
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-29-2017, 08:53 PM)AHill Wrote: <<<SNIP

As an example of how stropping keeps an edge, just remind yourself that your great grandfather used a strop nearly every day on his straight razor.  I'd say there's hardly an application where sharp is less important than putting a straight razor to your face.

I was told those belts were only used for 'whuppins. 
Confused
(12-30-2017, 01:49 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I was told those belts were only used for 'whuppins. 
Confused

Dad said he was required to cut his own switch from a hickory tree.  Talk about imprinting a memory to change errant behavior.  I inherited my Grandfather's straight razor, but I don't know what ever happened to his strop.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill