Old lathe question
Wondering if anyone has seen a beast like this before or have any info on it.
craigslist
Wow only $600 for what looks like a 30+" swing production lathe.

To me I would take it in a second and later put the single phase thingie on it.  That is just one stout lathe.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I can't believe 2 weeks and it's not been sold.
The spindle makes me nervous and the fact it won't fit in my truck and I would have to rent a forklift to move it. And the fact I'd have to remodel my shop for it to fit lol
(12-30-2017, 11:49 AM)Angus Wrote: Wondering if anyone has seen a beast like this before or have any info on it.
craigslist

looks like an angle iron bed. I'd be asking lots of questions
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(12-30-2017, 03:16 PM)Angus Wrote: The spindle makes me nervous and the fact it won't fit in my truck and I would have to rent a forklift to move it. And the fact I'd have to remodel my shop for it to fit lol

all those are solvable problems.  I'm just sayin'.  
Wink
(12-30-2017, 08:39 PM)crokett™ Wrote: all those are solvable problems.  I'm just sayin'.  
Wink

Yeah, but pretty soon that $600 dollar lathe starts costing more than 2 or 3 robusts......Not my first rodeo lol

Big Grin
Big Grin
(12-30-2017, 09:37 PM)Angus Wrote: Yeah, but pretty soon that $600 dollar lathe starts costing more than 2 or 3 robusts......Not my first rodeo lol

Angus

It the tailstock is bothering you buy the Robust one or Oneway and shim it up until you get the height and you have a lathe they will turn anything.
Yes

Also I see that the tailstock was welded and not angle iron but sheet stock and looks like from the pic 3/16 to maybe 1/4 thick.  I would try it and work up until you feel it is not working right.  Also I would change the wheel on the back to maybe 10" instead of the what looks like 3".
Yes

Also I did not see the size of the motor and if it was 3hp then it is a bigger one then what is used nowadays so that would be a + to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I've decided against it Arlin. The spindle does not look like a standard threaded setup. It is not any type of variable speed so it would take motor work at least and maybe a phase converter. I would have to rent a trailer and forklift to get into the shop. I would have to rip out banks of wall and floor cabinets and add wiring to the shop. I would need a new bowl steady and tool rests. In the long run I would be money ahead buying new. I never turn anything that would come close to needing that much machine so the costs outweigh any benefit for me.