Long overdue shovel fix
Bought this shovel new in the mid, upper 70's. The handle top has weathered the years.
I thought it deserved a new one, so today I got er done.

Hmmm fuzzy pics
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Nice! What kind of wood?

I've been meaning to try making hammer handles. Those are a bit tricky, you have to turn an oval shape so basically you do one offset turning to turn one side, then move the center of rotation to the other side and turn the other side.
I had a scrap of red oak laying here, so I just used it.

Heres a offset handle I was doing some years back.

The sides were slightly flat, done intentionally
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-31-2017, 01:34 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Nice!  What kind of wood?    

I've been meaning to try making hammer handles.  Those are a bit tricky, you have to turn an oval shape so basically you do one offset turning to turn one side, then move the center of rotation to the other side and turn the other side.

What I did in the past was turn the handle bigger and then take it to the belt sander and sand off two sides and then round it off and works like new.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
If you keep the same center point on on end and uses 2 offset centers on the other end you can create a handle that is oval on one end and round on the other.

2 coats of BLO, and she's back on duty.

Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I hear you can get one from the big orange box for nearly nothing.

Nice job.
Big Grin
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(01-05-2018, 01:26 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: 2 coats of BLO, and she's back on duty.

Winkgrin

You know on many US made shovels if you call the company they will send you a new shovel free
Laugh
I found that most have a fairly good warranty after spending near $40 on a shovel and having it snap within about 5 minutes of use 
without putting a load on it
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-05-2018, 10:50 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: I hear you can get one from the big orange box for nearly nothing.

Nice job.
Big Grin

I think that is snow shovels not spades.  
Big Grin

Laugh
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020