Respirator
Seeking advice on the best respirator (for the $$$)
(12-31-2017, 02:54 PM)War Eagle Wood Turner Wrote: Seeking advice on the best respirator (for the $$$)

"Best" against what?  You'll want charcoal cartridges and a snug fit for finishing.  Shouldn't need much beyond a barrier for sanding.  Choices and effectiveness of 
the masks here, but you will have to determine proper fit in person. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/a...n_Sitelink
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Welcome to the forum.

Some time ago I bought an expensive respirator ($80 is expensive to me) and wore when I was sanding a lot.  The problem as I saw it, generally I do not sand a lot.  It was large, bulky, and hot in the summer.  About a year ago I won an Elipse Respirator at my woodturning club meeting.  It may or may not be better than the larger one but it is far more effective since I do not mind wearing it.

Good luck on your decision.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(12-31-2017, 02:54 PM)War Eagle Wood Turner Wrote: Seeking advice on the best respirator (for the $$$)

I use the Elipse Respirator. Works for me
I use one of the 3M Half Mask Respirators (don't recall the model #). Cost about $30. The most important aspect (IMO) is the fit. There should be a good seal around your face so that the air you breathe is coming in through the filters only. Comfort is also very important; if it's not comfortable, you're less inclined to wear it. I went through about three different models before I found one that is comfortable and provided a good seal. I would also encourage you to wear it all the time when turning, and not just when sanding. Dust is always being kicked up as the piece spins on the lathe. Dust exposure is insidious; you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem.
I use a generic 3M half face respirator (7500?). Two things you want; organic filters for when you are using finishing products and P100 filters for dust. N95 doesn't cut it since it will allow the most harmful particles through the filter into your lungs. Beyond that it's mostly about a good fit so the seal remains intact while you are moving around.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I have a problem.I am on full time home oxygen,since Dec 15.I need some type of respirator but don't want it so tight it cuts off my oxygen supply.Anyone have any ideas?Would hate to give up turning.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Mel, have you thought about a powered full face model? The trend is the cheapest I know of and I don't think it would pinch the oxygen tube. Another option would be a powered 3M but they get into some very serious money. I hope this isn't a permanent situation and you have a speedy recovery.
(01-01-2018, 09:24 PM)Angus Wrote: Mel, have you thought about a powered full face model? The trend is the cheapest I know of and I don't think it would pinch the oxygen tube. Another option would be a powered 3M but they get into some very serious money. I hope this isn't a permanent situation and you have a speedy recovery.

Angus
Unfortunately it is permanent,I am going to check into the Trend,thanks for the advise.Would really hate to have to give up turning.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(01-01-2018, 09:42 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: Angus
 Unfortunately it is permanent,I am going to check into the Trend,thanks for the advise.Would really hate to have to give up turning.

Mel

I have a trend so if I can get you any info or pictures just jet me know.