Anyone use the Walabot?
Reading Amazon reviews, of verified purchasers, the reviews are mixed, with about 60% positive [4&5] and another 12% at 3.  It appears that a large share of the negative reviews are from people with magical expectations.  From what I am seeing in the Amazon Q&A, it works great on drywall and cement, not good on block, brick, and plaster and lathe.  One reviewer claimed they used it successfully on plaster and lathe.  The "seller" said in an earlier review that it should work on plaster and lathe, but in December said "It will not work on plaster and lathe."

Has anyone here used it?  What is your experience with it?  Has anyone used it to find wires/pipes behind plaster and lathe? 

My alternative is drill a hole and use an endoscope, then patch the hole.  I have a Ridged 3' endoscope, which paid for itself in a couple of uses.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I think some home depots rent a flir. Maybe yours does.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

The reviews of the prototype they sent out for people to test didn't look good. Maybe it's better now but the early versions didn't seem to do much. 

I'd love a stud finder that could find ceiling joists on ceilings that have furring strips. The morons that built our house in 1959/60 used 1 " x 6" doug fir tongue and groove siding as furling strips. Makes installing anything in the ceiling a battle of cutting the furling strips and not a clue in the world where the ceiling joists are. 
       So anyone building a house please never use furling strips. The electricians and HVAC guys will thank you if you don't.

Oh and as for the borescope. I have one LOML bought me a few years ago at sams and it's very handy for this stuff. Course you can get a scope up to 100' long and just plug it into your phone or tablet for as little as under $10 now....
The Seek thermal imaging camera which connect to the Android is not price to badly.  I had not considered using thermal imaging.  I may be able to borrow one from work.  I am not sure if their imaging cameras are on the list of items I can borrow or not.
(01-03-2018, 06:13 PM)Cecil Wrote: The Seek thermal imaging camera which connect to the Android is not price to badly.  I had not considered using thermal imaging.  I may be able to borrow one from work.  I am not sure if their imaging cameras are on the list of items I can borrow or not.

Remember thermal imaging looks at temperature difference.   I don't think it will see items at the same temperature such as cable or even studs on a inside wall.  Water pipes will probably show up as they are different temps.  
 What are you trying to locate ?     Roly
(01-03-2018, 06:45 PM)Roly Wrote: Remember thermal imaging looks at temperature difference.   I don't think it will see items at the same temperature such as cable or even studs on a inside wall.  Water pipes will probably show up as they are different temps.  
 What are you trying to locate ?     Roly

I talked to our engineers who do our predictive analysis using thermal imaging.  They have tried it on walls.  It does find the studs.  They told me to run water first to find the pipes.  However, according to them, I am out of luck looking for gas pipes, unused but connected pipes and wiring.  Roly, you are correct.

Finding the studs is easy.  I will drill a small hole and stick in a camera to find anything I need to find.  Hole are patchable.
It wouldn't work in my house (and stud finders don't either--WiFi is an issue too).  Plaster over metal lathe.  All you see is the lathe.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.