Plumbing question
When I flush the toilet in my master bedroom you can hear a gurgling sound in the shower drain. I am also smelling a sewer gas or nasty smell. At first I thought it might be the cat litter pan but after removing and cleaning it the smell remains. Does this sound like the air vent on the roof maybe possibly plugged. I am not having the problem in other restrooms but they probably have a different vent any help would be appreciated thank you
(12-31-2017, 03:55 PM)sroxberg Wrote: When I flush the toilet in my master bedroom you can hear a gurgling sound in the shower drain. I am also smelling a sewer gas or nasty smell. At first I thought it might be the cat litter pan but after removing and cleaning it the smell remains. Does this sound like the air vent on the roof maybe possibly plugged. I am not having the problem in other restrooms but they probably have a different vent any help would be appreciated thank you

Somewhere the vent is plugged.   If you are in a very cold area it could be froze over.  Roly
I would start with a frozen/clogged vent.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Agree on the vent!
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(12-31-2017, 03:55 PM)sroxberg Wrote: When I flush the toilet in my master bedroom you can hear a gurgling sound in the shower drain. I am also smelling a sewer gas or nasty smell. At first I thought it might be the cat litter pan but after removing and cleaning it the smell remains. Does this sound like the air vent on the roof maybe possibly plugged. I am not having the problem in other restrooms but they probably have a different vent any help would be appreciated thank you

This used to happen to me pretty regularly when it got very cold outside. A few years ago (during the warm season) I went up on the roof and painted the pvc vent stack black. My thinking was black might absorb enough heat to help keep the vent open. Amazingly- so far- it seems to have worked. Its been four or five years and no blocked vent. Mind you I'm not discounting dumb luck or global warming as contributing factors, but whatever, I'll take it.