Perseverance
(01-01-2018, 10:03 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: Jlanci needs to buy all the tools and then arrange them in a shrine to light a candle by every night.  Then, both Jim and Jlanci win.  Jim gets his cash and Jlanci can deify the tools.

I have absolutely nothing against selling tools, but the line about how much of an honor is was to be chosen to be the custodian of the collection is pure BS. It is not the custodians job to cast them off to the four corners, it is the custodians job to preserve what he is entrusted with. If Jim is just another seller that’s fine with me but he is sure not fulfilling the role he said he was chosen for.
(01-01-2018, 12:40 PM)jlanciani Wrote: I have absolutely nothing against selling tools, but the line about how much of an honor is was to be chosen to be the custodian of the collection is pure BS. It is not the custodians job to cast them off to the four corners, it is the custodians job to preserve what he is entrusted with. If Jim is just another seller that’s fine with me but he is sure not fulfilling the role he said he was chosen for.

That is certainly an interesting read of Jim's words.... in this holiday season, I would tend to read his words as that he was a friend of the family, and that he was designated by the family to sell the tools of his friend for them.  They don't need them, and are more concerned with having to deal somehow with all the stacked up stuff that was left behind..

Perhaps you haven't had the experience yet of disposing of one of your parents belongings after they have passed... sometimes that can be a serious burden indeed....  When Dad passed, and it had been 6 weeks or so after that, Mom had us come up to her place and hold a garage sale on the lawn of his stuff... that we sons had not already taken for ourselves and wanted to keep of course. 

That could be me posting those pics and writing those words here, and your response would not be appropriate....  T

That could also be taken by Jim that his posts are not welcome here, and that is not true at all...

Just my 2 cts worth.....
Skip

(12-31-2017, 04:58 PM)Gentleman Jim Wrote: In December a fellow Navy veteran, Senior Chief Patternmaker, passed. I was accorded the honor of becoming the custodian for most of his working tools. The Victor vise is a very early version of what ultimately became the Emmert.

Hi Jim; Thanks for your post!

I didn't see the vise, did you intend to post more than 2 pics???
Skip

(01-01-2018, 04:07 PM)Skip J. Wrote: That is certainly an interesting read of Jim's words.... in this holiday season, I would tend to read his words as that he was a friend of the family, and that he was designated by the family to sell the tools of his friend for them.  They don't need them, and are more concerned with having to deal somehow with all the stacked up stuff that was left behind..

Perhaps you haven't had the experience yet of disposing of one of your parents belongings after they have passed... sometimes that can be a serious burden indeed....  When Dad passed, and it had been 6 weeks or so after that, Mom had us come up to her place and hold a garage sale on the lawn of his stuff... that we sons had not already taken for ourselves and wanted to keep of course. 

That could be me posting those pics and writing those words here, and your response would not be appropriate....  T

That could also be taken by Jim that his posts are not welcome here, and that is not true at all...

Just my 2 cts worth.....

I agree with Skip, if you can't say something nice don't say it. I don't come here as often as I used to because a lot of replies here, I do find are quite
offensive. There is no call for at least one response and I find a lot of that. Even if you are going to sell everything it is still an honor to be given the responsibility and trust.

Tom
(01-02-2018, 02:31 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I agree with Skip, if you can't say something nice don't say it. I don't come here as often as I used to because a lot of replies here, I do find are quite
offensive. There is no call for at least one response and I find a lot of that. Even if you are going to sell everything it is still an honor to be given the responsibility and trust.

Tom
It's one of the problems with the "written" word...When spoken, those same words could convey a totally different meaning....putting the emphasis on certain words can change everything.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have been a tool user, collector, and sometimes salesman since 1971. I have spent several decades, and more than a few dollars, establishing a local reputation as a fair dealer. When a craft persons family decides to dispose of a lifetime accumulation it is often a heart wrenching experience to see Dads tools go out the door. The last thing they need in this situation is to victimized by a hustler. I provide free valuations to clients and tell them up front I will buy at a fixed percent below my valuation. I cannot count the number of times the phrase, "they are worth that much" has popped up. Thanks to this practise and a loving wife of more than 47 years, I sleep well at night and manage to find some interesting tools along the way.
(01-04-2018, 07:06 PM)Gentleman Jim Wrote: I have been a tool user, collector, and sometimes salesman since 1971.  I have spent several decades, and more than a few dollars, establishing a local reputation as a fair dealer. When a craft persons family decides to dispose of a lifetime accumulation it is often a heart wrenching experience to see Dads tools go out the door. The last thing they need in this situation is to victimized by a hustler. I provide free valuations to clients and tell them up front I will buy at a fixed percent below my valuation. I cannot count the number of times the phrase, "they are worth that much" has popped up. Thanks to this practise and a loving wife of more than 47 years, I sleep well at night and manage to find some interesting tools along the way.
And there's not a thing wrong with that, IMO....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Skip J. The vice pics are on another thread. I am adding them here for clarity. Interesting history on the vise, worth a google.

Take care

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-04-2018, 07:20 PM)Gentleman Jim Wrote: Skip J. The vice pics are on another thread. I am adding them here for clarity. Interesting history on the vise, worth a google.

Take care
Thanks for the info Jim, and I did read your other thread.  Very interesting situation and tools. Also, I will Google Victor Tool Co. and read what comes up.  

For what it's worth, I have dealt for over a decade with a guy here in Texas in a similar situation as yours, both buying from him, and selling to him.  I am well aware of the process he goes thru when a WW'ers tools are sold in his estate...
Skip