Bandsaw blade alignment
I was watching a video by Alex Snodgras on bs setup and he puts the blade so that the gullet is on the center of the wheel.  I have a 16" bs with a 1" blade and if I do it that way a large portion of the blade is no longer on the wheel.  Didn't measure but I'd say 1/4" is off the wheel.  Is that normal / safe?
That's a common suggestion, but I would only apply it if it allows the blade to remain on the wheel. Blade tension might very well cause deformity of the blade if part of the blade is not on the wheel.

Usually centering the deepest part of the gullet on the crown of the wheel is best for tracking and accuracy, but that's with a 1/2" blade.

If you have a real need for a wide blade like that, I would see if you can maximize the width of your wheels and tires. I personally wouldn't run a saw blade wider than the wheels and tires for a whole host of reasons.
(01-03-2018, 10:21 AM)jussi Wrote: I was watching a video by Alex Snodgras on bs setup and he puts the blade so that the gullet is on the center of the wheel.  I have a 16" bs with a 1" blade and if I do it that way a large portion of the blade is no longer on the wheel.  Didn't measure but I'd say 1/4" is off the wheel.  Is that normal / safe?

Alex is a great guy and really knows his stuff! In November I was in the MicroJig booth at the Hartville Hardware Tool show and Alex was right next to us. He is amazing to watch. 

But as a 30 woodworking professional, and having used just about every band saw type you can imagine including some seriously large old antiques, I personally set the saw up so that the blade runs centered on the crown. 

On a 1/4” blade, that will pretty much set the gullet very near the crown, but on a 1” wide blade, the gullet will be further away. This provides not only proper support to the blade, but keeps the tension forces aligned through the center of the wheels as the Saw was manufactured to do.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.