Has Anyone Used Heat Treated Lumber?
A year or so ago, I read an article about heat treated lumber (thermally modified) primarily for decking. My understanding is that they bake kiln dried lumber for an additional time to cook out the resins and sugars. This removes an nutrients for fungus, mold, bugs, etc. to feed on. Since reading the article, I haven't heard anything more about it. Just wondering if anyone has used it for anything.
(01-03-2018, 06:21 PM)Willyou Wrote: A year or so ago, I read an article about heat treated lumber (thermally modified) primarily for decking. My understanding is that they bake kiln dried lumber for an additional time to cook out the resins and sugars. This removes an nutrients for fungus, mold, bugs, etc. to feed on. Since reading the article, I haven't heard anything more about it. Just wondering if anyone has used it for anything.

I haven't seen it anywhere locally but do not confuse it with heat treated lumber that was imported at the big box stores.   That heat treatment is just to kill insects so we don't import them.    Roly
There was some available at the borgs locally for a short time usually 14' and 16' sticks. Never used it but I do have a couple garage doors I need to build and if it's properties ate true it would work well for my application. I prefer cedar however it's quite pricey and the stuff we get here is all sap wood and very weak very warped and worse than pine.
Quote:I haven't seen it anywhere locally but do not confuse it with heat treated lumber that was imported at the big box stores.   That heat treatment is just to kill insects so we don't import them.    Roly

Yes. I understand the difference.

Quote:I prefer cedar however it's quite pricey and the stuff we get here is all sap wood and very weak very warped and worse than pine.

My understanding is that the thermally modified stuff is not cheap, but it is rot and insect resistant without the chemicals. Interestingly, you can't paint it with water based paint because it is water repellent.
(01-03-2018, 10:07 PM)Willyou Wrote: Yes. I understand the difference.

My understanding is that the thermally modified stuff is not cheap, but it is rot and insect resistant without the chemicals. Interestingly, you can't paint it with water based paint because it is water repellent.

Yes, you are right.  Google "thermally modified wood" and you will find several companies that make/sell it.  My local lumber supplier has mentioned it recently and sounded like they were interested in trying it.   If they do, I'll be very interested in getting some.  

John
I've seen Menards advertise it...

Ed
Seems like an interesting product for outdoor furniture in addition to decking.
“Thermory”
Heat treated ash decking.
About the same price as ipe.