Anyone Ever Carve A Gunstock?
I think I might try it.  Don't have a clue, will watch a video or two... and then give it a shot. 
Rolleyes   I have some spoke shaves, a nice collection of chisels.. and some decent wood.  It's for an old, OLD, .22 Single Shot Winchester Model 60.  It had to have been made prior to 1964 since there is no serial number on the rifle.

All my kids learned to shoot with this old gun, and I'm about to pass down to the middle daughter.  She and her husband will teach her daughter to shoot with this gun when she is ready.  The gun isn't much, but it's family, and it's got family history.  

If the NEW stock doesn't turn out, I can refinish the original and my granddaughter will still have the rifle her mom learned to shoot with.

Big Grin   But... if it does turn out... oh boy... it will really be special won't it? I'll go slow, take my time, and try and match the original lines. Hardest part will be lining up the holes I'll have to drill. LOL.

Any advice?
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
My dad bought me 3 tools, one of which was a Stanley 51 spokeshave. With it I fashioned a gunstock out of pine. I think the result was quite reasnonable for a 12 yr. old and pine. My suggestion is this: Go glorious! Get some fanstastic walnut and take your time. Put a beavertail forearm on it and add a comb. Why trade out a stock with that history for anything less?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(01-03-2018, 07:57 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I think I might try it.  Don't have a clue, will watch a video or two... and then give it a shot. 
Rolleyes   I have some spoke shaves, a nice collection of chisels.. and some decent wood.  It's for an old, OLD, .22 Single Shot Winchester Model 60.  It had to have been made prior to 1964 since there is no serial number on the rifle.

All my kids learned to shoot with this old gun, and I'm about to pass down to the middle daughter.  She and her husband will teach her daughter to shoot with this gun when she is ready.  The gun isn't much, but it's family, and it's got family history.  

If the NEW stock doesn't turn out, I can refinish the original and my granddaughter will still have the rifle her mom learned to shoot with.

Big Grin   But... if it does turn out... oh boy... it will really be special won't it?  I'll go slow, take my time, and try and match the original lines.  Hardest part will be lining up the holes I'll have to drill. LOL.

Any advice?

I made a gunstock for an air rifle, a Weirauch HW55. It came to me with only an action and barrel, didn’t even have a trigger guard.  I had intended for it to be a guide for the real thing, so I made a trial run with glued up Baltic Birch.  I had no guide to follow, no dimensions, no nothing.  I started by routing a channel to let in the barrel, then followed with drilling the holes only after the barrel was let in.  That was the only power tool used. After the barrel was let in, everything else was done with rasps and spokeshaves. The only caution I have is to be careful about the distance from the handgrip part of the stock to the trigger.  It has to be right.

It was a fun project.  You’ll enjoy it, too.
I am looking forward to it, and I have some great wood to choose from.  I have slabs of walnut, cherry, and others.  I have wood. 
Smirk  This stock is also going to be practice for the next one I'll make if this turns out.  I have a nice lever action I want something special for... but they want you to pay dearly for factory machine made "select grade" stocks.  I have a piece of Curly Cherry that looks like it's on fire, and some black walnut.... well.  I have wood. 
Laugh

I'll take my time... and hopefully the results will show the care taken.

Smile
Jim in Okie
(01-03-2018, 07:57 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I think I might try it.  Don't have a clue, will watch a video or two... and then give it a shot. 

Big Grin   But... if it does turn out... oh boy... it will really be special won't it?  I'll go slow, take my time, and try and match the original lines.  Hardest part will be lining up the holes I'll have to drill. LOL.

Any advice?

Wow. Looks like my old bolt action 410. Got it when I was 15y/o.
FYI: there are laser engraving shops that do stellar work on existing gun stocks.
BontzSawWorks.net
Jim

On EBay there is a DVD that covers that.  I think there are 2 left and I have had it on my want to buy list for us sometime.

Just go to ebay and put in gun stock carving dvd and it will come up.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I like the current stock. But to answer your question, yes--kind of. Waaay back in the day (I was 12) my dad and I bought a WWII surplus 7mm mauser. It was made during the war and the stock was pretty shabby. We purchased a rough stock and I inlet the barrel and trigger guard. Then I sanded and finished the stock. Dad donated his half to me after he saw what a good job I had done. My next move was to carve down the handpiece to fit my 12 yo mitt. That rifle fit me like a glove.

Long story to say that this was a big effort. The new stock was rough carved but I had to sand it and fit all of the pieces. It took me all summer. Making a stock from scratch will be quite an undertaking without a specialized gunstock lathe and fixtures.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I expect it will be a lot of work, but projects get me out of the house and into the shop.  I can work on this when I don't have other projects, or they are stalled for drying or waiting for parts to come in.
Jim in Okie
(01-04-2018, 06:44 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I expect it will be a lot of work, but projects get me out of the house and into the shop.  I can work on this when I don't have other projects, or they are stalled for drying or waiting for parts to come in.

Take pics and let us know how its going.  I've got a Russian Mosin-Nagant (Tula, 1942) that shoots really well but the stock is the ugliest thing.... and one of these days I might undertake the same project.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
It all reminds me of the Carbine Williams exhibit in the NC state museum. He held many patents on automatic rifles but most of his work was done while he was in prison. There is a .22 similar to the one you have only his was built from a model T axle and had a walnut stock hand carved from a fence post. It's amazing what kind of work some people can do if they have plenty of time on their hands.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com