Anyone Ever Carve A Gunstock?
I have one project to finish, then i'm on it. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Based on that picture, I wouldn't do anything to that stock! It could be worse in person, but I don't think it needs to be refinished. My son bought a model 67 this summer that had been refinished, it looks great but it doesn't have the character of some of our others.

You could also consider having it pantographed to save yourself some work.

Here is my gun stock that I've been afraid to touch.
Crazy

[Image: 1hgAlOD.jpg]

[Image: d9XMS3T.jpg]
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Oh, and Larry Potterfield has some good youtube videos on stock making.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I did a lot of my dad's shotguns many years ago. He kept breaking them during trap shoots, but that's another story. Most of the tools for shaping the stock blank are standard woodworking tools. I highly recommend you make or buy a barrel inletting tool for bedding the barrel. Inletting tool is a fancy name for a scraper shaped to the same diameter of your barrel. I have had success using good quality steel washers, ground to a nice sharp edge, and attached to a pull handle. This is a finishing tool. Most of the stock removal can be with a router, chisels, gouges or whatever. Checkering tools are easy to make from old files although a vee carving chisel is sure handy. Likewise you need a jig to hold the blank while you work on it. I have a couple of old ones if you would like pictures.

Best of luck and look forward to seeing the finished stock.
[Image: 72447199.jpg]
I agree with Cletus. The age-design character of the period of production make it a sweet tool now. I had a similar hand-me-down from my brother. I took a pocket knife and sandpaper to the bland-looking walnut so it would fit my trigger hand more comfortably. You'd only notice the re-contouring when putting it to your shoulder.
Meh, perhaps I will leave that stock alone... and just make a stock for the wall hanger flintlock.  No value there.  I just want to try it.  Later, I want to make a REALLY nice stock and forearm for my Henry Carbine... if I find I can actually do this. 
Laugh

See, ya'll talked me out of it.
Perhaps my next project will be my custom cane shaft... practice with the spokeshaves. I actually use canes, and have been planning to make one, but no lathe, hence, the spokeshaves.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.