Throttle Control conversion
I think about a lot of stuff. This is one more thing I was thinking about that may never happen.... I have a John Deer AMT 600 (early Gator)  this is the throttle control, sort of like a snow mobile, at least the ones I've ridden.  Like snowmobiles it gets uncomfortable on longer rides, like to the farm.    I'm wondering about converting it to a motorcycle twist grip.  Is a twist grip all one piece?  Looking at them online it appears they are.  Will the diameter of the tube used on the handlebars be Could it be something as simple as  install the twist grip and do what modifications are necessary to the cable to connect it to the twist grip?   

(01-03-2018, 09:26 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I think about a lot of stuff.  This is one more thing I was thinking about that may never happen....   I have a John Deer AMT 600 (early Gator)  this is the throttle control, sort of like a snow mobile, at least the ones I've ridden.  Like snowmobiles it gets uncomfortable on longer rides, like to the farm.    I'm wondering about converting it to a motorcycle twist grip.  Is a twist grip all one piece?  Looking at them online it appears they are.  Will the diameter of the tube used on the handlebars be Could it be something as simple as  install the twist grip and do what modifications are necessary to the cable to connect it to the twist grip?   

there a number of options available to convert from thumb to twist, some of them don't even need to remove the thumb control, the twist interacts with them.  I've also seen thumb extensions that look interesting.
looks like with a little google search of 
convert from thumb to twist grip throttle
theres some videos and a few write up in both atv and snowmobile forums.

looks like a new throttle cable might be necessary.
I talked to a couple other people already and watched a couple videos last night. The basic premise seems possible. I'm going to stop by an ATV store and see if they have any assemblies I can look at. I'm hoping I can keep the existing cable, for obvious reasons.
(01-04-2018, 04:46 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I talked to a couple other people already and watched a couple videos last night.  The basic premise seems possible.   I'm going to stop by an ATV store and see if they have any assemblies I can look at.  I'm hoping I can keep the existing cable, for obvious reasons.

ya may want to check your handlebar diameter before ya go. 1" grips dont fit too well on a 7/8" bar and vice versa.
Yeah. I need to measure that. I think it's 7/8". I'm not buying anything my first trip anywhere anyway. I just want to look at the options for connecting the cable to the new grip.
You might want to check Dennis Kirk.....they might have something turn-key....

Ed
Just bolt on a straight lever, then turn a wood knob on your lathe.
Push to go..........pull to whooooooa
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I did some more research and this is at least possible. I need to check what the linkage is at the engine. It will probably mean a new throttle cable along with the new grip. I think that's going to be easier than trying to adapt the existing cable to the new throttle.
Do they still make single-cable twist grips? I remember the sticky scary minibike throttle I had that didn't always want to close, which I presume is why motorcycles went to two cables a very long time ago.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"