Throttle Control conversion
I see single cable twist grips on Amazon.
(01-03-2018, 09:26 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I think about a lot of stuff.  This is one more thing I was thinking about that may never happen....   I have a John Deer AMT 600 (early Gator)  this is the throttle control, sort of like a snow mobile, at least the ones I've ridden.  Like snowmobiles it gets uncomfortable on longer rides, like to the farm.    I'm wondering about converting it to a motorcycle twist grip.  Is a twist grip all one piece?  Looking at them online it appears they are.  Will the diameter of the tube used on the handlebars be Could it be something as simple as  install the twist grip and do what modifications are necessary to the cable to connect it to the twist grip?   

I think I am going to give the thumb buddy a try.  Its pretty cheap and its got a metal core so you can bend it to get it exactly where you want it.

cheapest I have found:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/THUMBUDDY-ATV-T...-1&vxp=mtr
I'd already thought about extending the handle and mocked it up with some wood a few weeks ago but the angle the existing lever sits at puts the end of an extension too far away from the handle to reach it without it being awkward.
(01-08-2018, 11:59 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I'd already thought about extending the handle and mocked it up with some wood a few weeks ago but the angle the existing lever sits at puts the end of an extension too far away from the handle to reach it without it being awkward.

According to the review I read about the one I linked you can bend it to the angle you want relative to the grip.
that might actually be the solution.

it's a dollar cheaper on amazon and includes shipping if you have Prime:
https://www.amazon.com/All-Rite-Products...B000OO4Q16

I'm thinking I might have to bolt it on though. The Deere lever is a different shape than an ATV throttle and I'm not sure zip ties are gonna do it.
(01-08-2018, 03:10 PM)crokett™ Wrote: that might actually be the solution.  

it's a dollar cheaper on amazon and includes shipping if you have Prime:
https://www.amazon.com/All-Rite-Products...B000OO4Q16

I'm thinking I might have to bolt it on though.  The Deere lever is a different shape than an ATV throttle and I'm not sure zip ties are gonna do it.

the lever type you have looks like it should be easy to do.
It seems there are motorcycle salvage yards here and there. I converted an old kit trike that had a foot throttle to a twist grip from an old Yamaha donor bike. I couldn't get a motorcycle cable long enough, so used a bicycle brake cable. It was about exactly right on the twist end, and the engine end I modified pretty easily to work.
From what I found there were just two sizes of handlebars, so not too difficult to get that right.
This is the existing throttle linkage, the magnified section shows it.  One more question... given that linkage, assuming I were to replace both the throttle and the cable, if the new cable is longer than the old one and has to have a loop in it or otherwise have slack taken up, will that matter? 

As far as operating, longer doesn't make any difference. You'll just have to figure out what to do with the extra length.
I never did like looping one. I usually cut them off if possible.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-19-2018, 11:28 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: As far as operating, longer doesn't make any difference. You'll just have to figure out what to do with the extra length.
I never did like looping one. I usually cut them off if possible.

thanks.  that's what I had for hazy recollection from building bicycles with cable operated brakes but...