I have a big problem and need advise
Well at least good advise.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

Several months ago I loaned my Hatatchi router which uses 1/4",3/8", and 1/2" collets.  The vet I loaned it to said he knew how and has used routers so when I go to use it today big problem.

He jammed the 3/8" collet all the way to the bottom of the shaft and put the 1/2" on top of it.  Now the 3/8" collet is partly broken off in the bottom and VERY stuck.  I tried lubes and stuff like that so how would you go about taking it out?

I thought about using my drumel with a diamond bit, but I do not want to score the inside.

Confused
Confused
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Pictures if you can.
Is there an edge to get needle nose vice grips on it? If so soak with penetrate, attach the grips, watch a good movie while you apply positive pressure in both directions for a spell. Just a thought.
(01-04-2018, 08:50 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Pictures if you can.
Is there an edge to get needle nose vice grips on it? If so soak with penetrate, attach the grips, watch a good movie while you apply positive pressure in both directions for a spell. Just a thought.

I have already put penetrating oil in it and the collet is all the way inside with NO lip showing.  I can not even get to the bottom to wiggle it out since it is all the way down.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

I can't exactly picture what you are dealing with, but I wonder if a drill bit run real slow might snag it and twist it out. Or, similarly, use a screw extractor like this
That is why I do not lend out tools.

Is there a Hitachi authorized repair shop nearby? I would take it to them to see if it can be repaired and the cost. Sounds like a real PITA problem to fix. As you posted you do not want to score/scratch the inside.
Hand it back to the guy who borrowed it and tell him to fix it or get you a new one.
(01-04-2018, 08:42 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Well at least good advise.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

Several months ago I loaned my Hatatchi router which uses 1/4",3/8", and 1/2" collets.  The vet I loaned it to said he knew how and has used routers so when I go to use it today big problem.

He jammed the 3/8" collet all the way to the bottom of the shaft and put the 1/2" on top of it.  Now the 3/8" collet is partly broken off in the bottom and VERY stuck.  I tried lubes and stuff like that so how would you go about taking it out?

I thought about using my drumel with a diamond bit, but I do not want to score the inside.

Confused
Confused
If the collet is not all the way flush with the bottom, I would try grinding a "flat" on the side of a 6" piece of 1/4" or 5/16" round stock leaving a small "lip" on the rod close to the rod's bottom end..I would try to ease the "lip" UNDER the collet and try pulling the broken collet out... sort of like a "slide Hammer" if you can understand what I am attempting to explain..It's hard to put the idea into words only...
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

The way I remove bearings in a hole with no way to get a puller in there because the hole stops just behind the bearing, is push it out with grease.
Fill the hole with grease then use a punch that fits snugly in the hole of the collet and hammer the punch down. If any of the grease can get behind the collet the pressure may force the collet out.

Another method is a type of inertia. Cap the shaft with the nut and use a flat end chisel on the air chisel to force it out.

There is a two shoulder easy out made from HS steel you might be able to tap into the collet to get it to turn.

It is hardened metal and under tension- hard freezing it with dry ice or liquid refrigerant then pouring water on it may crack/break it.

I have never had to do these with a collet, but it has worked on other stuff I screw up and get stuck.
So good ideas in here, especially the grease trick. I've that that with transmission input shaft bearings and bushings.
Might try a thread tap Arlin, one that will go into that 3/8" sleeve a little ways. Maybe a 5/16" tap
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Jack

I can not even get a scribe underneath the collet and it is flat on the bottom inside.

I will look up and see if there is a dealer around here who may fix it cheaply.

For those who do not know me or what I do I will say this.

I am a disabled vet and if it was not for getting into woodworking I might be dead.  I now teach a bunch of other disabled vets who have a lot of disabilities or PTSD and most of them are either waiting for their disability rating from the VA or do not get very much.

I over look some things but if one guy does the same dumb thing more then once without telling me they broke something I will not let them work without me or ask them not to come back.  However, I will trust all of them at least once since they need someone to and even if they act up I realize why they do and sit down and talk to them and see what is going on with them and what they are feeling.

I know once we get the non profit and the city who said they will provide us a building and I have a lot of volunteers lined up to teach and watch the place I and they will have it a lot easier since they have to wait to come to my garage between my VA appointments or hospital stays.

I do not want to lose even one person to suicide if I can help it even if it means a broken tool once in a while.