I have a big problem and need advise
If it were my router and I was in your shoes. I'd take a nail and stick the point in one of the collet fingers at as flat an angle as I could. I would then tap the nail with a hammer and try to get the collet spinning in the shaft. If it spins, even a little, it will probably lift out. After that, I'd probably get frustrated and take it to a repair shop and let them deal with it.
Big Grin
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(01-06-2018, 09:05 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,
If the collett is "split", the "bread" will likely find it's way out through the slots..and you wont be able to generate any hydraulic force...I had thought about filling the collett with grease and using a tight fitting rod to act as a "piston" to force it out...until I remembered the slots.

I've tried both grease and bread on roller bearings, which have a gap between the rollers.  The grease does ooze out the gaps, but the bread is more rubbery and clogs the gaps, so it seems to work better.  Even if some squeezed out the slots, the bread will likely generate enough force to free the collet.

If the slots are a problem, though, I guess they could be filled with RTV or Bondo or something.
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B001VXU474

Um, the guy who did this to you owes you a new router. Seriously, this is a [email=#@^&*%$#@%]#@^&*%$#@%[/email]^ thing to do and he had to know he did it for crying out loud.
No
I wish there were pictures, because everybody seems to understand what you're talking about, and I haven't a clue.  I have eight routers, four different brands (PC, DW, Milwaukee, and Bosch), and the collets for all of them are encapsulated in the threaded nut with a split ring, so it would not be possible to put multiple collets on the shaft.  I've never had a Hitachi...do they come with different sized collets that are secured in the shaft by one keeper nut (or whatever you call it), used for all?

I'm not much help on the problem at hand...just curious.
Bob
(01-08-2018, 09:32 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: Um, the guy who did this to you owes you a new router. Seriously, this is a [email=#@^&*%$#@%]#@^&*%$#@%[/email]^ thing to do and he had to know he did it for crying out loud.
No

He is another disabled vet and I can not bring myself to discourage him or any of them.  A lot of them are delicately balanced and that is why I am teaching them because I do not want any to commit suicide which is why I started this program.

I just learn who I can loan things to and ones that need to be with me if they do use my tools.  I have banned a few from using my tools without me.

I hope you understand Rick how delicate vets are and why it is my goal to help them get better.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-09-2018, 03:15 AM)BobW Wrote: I wish there were pictures, because everybody seems to understand what you're talking about, and I haven't a clue.  I have eight routers, four different brands (PC, DW, Milwaukee, and Bosch), and the collets for all of them are encapsulated in the threaded nut with a split ring, so it would not be possible to put multiple collets on the shaft.  I've never had a Hitachi...do they come with different sized collets that are secured in the shaft by one keeper nut (or whatever you call it), used for all?

I'm not much help on the problem at hand...just curious.

Bob

The 1/4 and 1/2 are like what you said but the 3/8 is different and I did not take it out before giving it to him.
I will take the camera over and take some pictures of it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Have you tried putting it in the freezer for a day or so?  That might loosen it up enough for it to drop out.
Bob
Hi Arlin,
Sorry to hear your router got abused after loaning it out.  What you are doing is a noble cause and you have a compelling story.  I bet if you call around to a machine shop and tell them the issue you are having with some of the back story of what you do, I bet you can get it fixed for free.

A machine shop will be experts in how to work with complicated metals like this.
You will give them a new challenge outside their day to day tasks/challenges.
Hopefully they will be willing to do it for cheap or free to help contribute to your worthy cause.

Call around to machine shops see if they'd be willing to fix it and get an estimate on what it might cost.

Good luck.
A carpenter's house is never done.
If you have access to a  stud welder (for removing auto body dents) , can you weld a stud to the broken piece and then pull it out?