Hot Water Recirculating Pump
I'm considering this for the bathroom upstairs. I found this article:

https://www.thespruce.com/hot-water-reci...em-2719054

and if I'm understanding it correctly it is possible to plumb one in using the existing lines, that is without having to add an additional line to create the hot water loop.  The kids already complain that the water takes a while to warm up.  I still need to investigate cost, etc before I make a final decision.   I think I would do the pump under the sink upstairs option.  It would be easier to install and access if needed - the heater requires emptying a closet and unscrewing a panel to get to it.   I did have a question as to the water that gets put into the cold side, where does it go? Back into the water heater?  I guess it would have to, given that the pump is pulling water from the heater on the hot side.
I have one from this company in place in one of my apts.  The unit is at the tank and the thermo valve is under the sink.
http://www.hvacquick.com/products/reside...tion-Pumps
Not sure if they still make that model but it has a timer with 2 settings so it works for a few hours in the morning and again when the tenant normally comes home.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-05-2018, 10:43 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I'm considering this for the bathroom upstairs. I found this article:

and if I'm understanding it correctly it is possible to plumb one in using the existing lines, that is without having to add an additional line to create the hot water loop.  The kids already complain that the water takes a while to warm up.  I still need to investigate cost, etc before I make a final decision.   I think I would do the pump under the sink upstairs option.  It would be easier to install and access if needed - the heater requires emptying a closet and unscrewing a panel to get to it.   I did have a question as to the water that gets put into the cold side, where does it go? Back into the water heater?  I guess it would have to, given that the pump is pulling water from the heater on the hot side.

The one negative for pushing the water into the cold side is the water is not as cold.  People sometimes have issues with drinking warmer water but that is the trade off for not having to install a separate return.  Roly
Bob, what's your best guess on water saving vs cost(of unit and running it)?
looking at something similar for the kids bathroom, tired of 40 minute showers blamed on cold water
no permiti el bicho morderte
(01-05-2018, 11:38 PM)vapochilled Wrote: Bob, what's your best guess on water saving vs cost(of unit and running it)?
looking at something similar for the kids bathroom, tired of 40 minute showers blamed on cold water
No idea as it is a 6 unit site and only one of the top floor units have it.  Although the tenant says it saves a few minutes at the sink and the same at the shower.  He likes the insta hot instead of waiting so not sure it saves at the shower because many shower until the water runs out but would bet it saves plenty at the sinks.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-05-2018, 10:43 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I'm considering this for the bathroom upstairs. I found this article:

http://waterheatertimer.org/Water-heater...ystem.html

Some (Laing) install completely under the sink. Most install in the existing hot water line out of the water heater and have a small sensor hookup under the sink.
(01-05-2018, 11:30 PM)Roly Wrote: The one negative for pushing the water into the cold side is the water is not as cold.  People sometimes have issues with drinking warmer water but that is the trade off for not having to install a separate return.  Roly

yeah.  I was reading that.  I think I'd have a timer on it so it circulates at shower time before bed, and then in the morning.  I'm still thinking about it.  This still has to pass the budget review committee anyway, who is probably going to tell me I have enough to do right now, and she's right 
Crazy
(01-06-2018, 09:16 AM)crokett™ Wrote: yeah.  I was reading that.  I think I'd have a timer on it so it circulates at shower time before bed, and then in the morning.  I'm still thinking about it.  This still has to pass the budget review committee anyway, who is probably going to tell me I have enough to do right now, and she's right 
Crazy

Had a recirculating pump installed many years ago when the house was redone with copper pipe. Timer set for am and pm shower times. In an effort to reduce gas bill I tried turning the pump off. Gas bill was cut it half. Summertime usage from $30 to $15. Not worth the cost for one person, would make sense for multiple people. My situation is not extreme, hot water reaches the shower within 2 minutes.

Watch this from the 2 minute mark...

[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
thanks. the pump with the button at about the 3:00 mark was interesting. The budget committee has already quashed this for a while, but at least I know what my options are now...