Overhead Retractable Electrical Line
If you are looking for the retractors, The scuba industry has a variety available with different strengths. Fairly heavy duty and well made with stainless steel to avoid corrosion.

Premade bungee cord taped to cord would be a cheap option. You can also make your own to whatever length you want.
My .02
Karl

(01-06-2018, 12:10 PM)Tapper Wrote: BTW, I've thought about running more than one machine off of a single circuit, i.e. just running additional lines to receptacles. It would work in my shop for me as I'm also the only one that works there. However, my electrician is also an inspector and he frowns on this practice. 

Your call, of course, but there's nothing in the NEC prohibiting putting more than one receptacle on a 240V circuit specifically, assuming it's not dedicated to a fixed in place load of more than 50% of the circuit ampacity, and which is usually hard-wired anyway.  You have a LOT of appliances in your kitchen that could be plugged into a single 20A circuit and run simultaneously, and if you did, you'd pop the breaker, especially with any appliances that make heat.  So you don't.  

OK, kitchens are required to have two or more such 20A circuits serving the counter tops and other receptacles, but that's beside the point.  

You could always talk to the inspector before doing the work, perhaps stating that multiple receptacles are so that you can move machines around for convenience.  But you can't fight city hall.  At least, not as a homeowner.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(01-06-2018, 12:10 PM)Tapper Wrote: ...I made a cord out of Romex...

Do not use Romex where stranded is required for flexibility.
Wood is good. 
(01-06-2018, 01:43 AM)Tapper Wrote: I'm redoing some electrical circuits in my shop and will also be adding some overhead 220v circuits for various machines, 4 or 5 total. Each circuit will have its own overhead box (8' ceiling, open joists) near the location of each machine. I'm wondering if there is any device made that will allow the flexible cord to hang down just low enough to catch with your hand and then pull it down to comfortable height to plug in the machine? Then to be retracted back up near the ceiling when not in use.

I'm not looking for one of those electrical reels, as they are typically 110v and include 20+ ft. of cord, which I don't need. They are also prohibitively priced for this application.

I hope I've described this adequately. If not, please ask questions.

Thanks,

Doug

I put an extension cord inside PVC conduit over my outfeed table.

[Image: 38645807905_720854a527_b.jpg]

I can pull a maximum of 7 feet out of the conduit.

The other end of the conduit terminates near a wall receptacle behind one of my clamp racks.

[Image: 38645807825_b3b4dfe80f_b.jpg]

When the cord is "retracted" the loop hangs down to the floor.

[Image: 39542165991_a5df95b4f4_b.jpg]

The cord is rigid enough that I can stuff it back into the conduit while standing at my outfeed table.

I don't see why you couldn't do the same with 240v extension cords.

Mike
I used a chain fastened to the box with the outlet in it, and to the ceiling. there is a hook on the back of the box so I can hook the box higher on the chain to be out of the way. Strain relief on both ends of the cord of corse.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(01-06-2018, 01:43 AM)Tapper Wrote: I'm redoing some electrical circuits in my shop and will also be adding some overhead 220v circuits for various machines, 4 or 5 total. Each circuit will have its own overhead box (8' ceiling, open joists) near the location of each machine. I'm wondering if there is any device made that will allow the flexible cord to hang down just low enough to catch with your hand and then pull it down to comfortable height to plug in the machine? Then to be retracted back up near the ceiling when not in use.

I'm not looking for one of those electrical reels, as they are typically 110v and include 20+ ft. of cord, which I don't need. They are also prohibitively priced for this application.

Thanks,

Doug
Doug, a bungee cord with the right tension may be the cheapest and best solution..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-06-2018, 02:14 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: Do not use Romex where stranded is required for flexibility.

Read closely, "temporary fix." Will use stranded wire for final solution.

DT
(01-06-2018, 02:51 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: I put an extension cord inside PVC conduit over my outfeed table.

Now why did I not think of that!  I do exactly that to get electric access in front of my wood storage, since the storage covers up the receptacles.  I never thought of applying this to the ceiling.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe

Thanks,

Doug
I like the conduit idea, but not the use of an 14ga or 12ga extension cord.  You know how those kitchen faucets with the pull out heads work?   Get some 10ga braided flexible cord and put it in conduit and route it where you want it, like the guy who posted the pictures.  At the supply end, put a weight on the slack in the wire that will retract the wire when not in use.  Use those RV twist lock type plugs and sockets on your tool and cord.
Just an idea.  You don't have to buy any fancy gadgets.
RP
(01-06-2018, 02:51 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: I put an extension cord inside PVC conduit over my outfeed table.

I can pull a maximum of 7 feet out of the conduit.

The other end of the conduit terminates near a wall receptacle behind one of my clamp racks.

When the cord is "retracted" the loop hangs down to the floor.

The cord is rigid enough that I can stuff it back into the conduit while standing at my outfeed table.

I don't see why you couldn't do the same with 240v extension cords.

Mike

Awesome idea
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020