Which Snowblower?
It depends on how far you have to throw the snow. I bought an Ariens about 12 years ago and it would not throw very far, paid close to $1k for it, sold at a loss and bought a Honda. Costs double of a comparable machine, but it is excellent, starts on first pull, I've never used the electric start, and eats any type of snow flawlessly. As far as I'm concerned, its the gold standard for two stage blowers.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I bought a Yardman in 92 that has the heated hand grips and throws snow about 50 ft.  This year I had to pull it 2 times to get it started.  I do only live in the secondary snow belt in Oh so when the snow belt gets 12 inches we only get 10
one of my sons just got a 30"troy built with power steering, heated handgrips and an 11hp (?) engine.  it went through last Thursday's snowstorm like sh*t through a goose.  so much more impressive than my 15YO 24" bare bones 7hp Yardman. his unit is really impressive!
there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
(01-07-2018, 09:07 AM)toolie Wrote: one of my sons just got a 30"troy built with power steering, heated handgrips and an 11hp (?) engine.  it went through last Thursday's snowstorm like sh*t through a goose.  so much more impressive than my 15YO 24" bare bones 7hp Yardman. his unit is really impressive!

That one sounds just like mine both are built by MTD here where I live in fact that is the one my niece just bid on at MTD where she works.
https://www.torodealer.com/en-us/Pages/P...7793(Toro). Take a look at this one. I have a much larger one at work but very similar. Probably the best snowblower I have ever used and abused. We had Ariens and they were very good machines but did not stand up to the abuse it receives at work. The toro is just better. We do have single stage Honda blowers that do a very good job for smaller snows.
I have a 26", 12.5 HP Husqvarna.  I like it fine, but really don't have anything to compare it to.  This is like the 4th or 5th winter.  Still starts on first or 2nd pull.  It will throw dry snow at least 30' when it isn't windy.  If it's windy or the snow is wet, you have to plan your route a little bit different and take a little more tiime, but that's true of any snowblower.  Once you narrow it down to a few candidates, spend time working the controls.  They need to be robust, but also intuitive and easy to use.  When you are working back & forth, changing directions, battling wind, etc, you will be doing 3-4 things at a time, your hands moving from one control to the other, so you want something that is easy to use.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

OH, forgot. Hydrostatic tranny is also a big plus, you can set infinite forward speed according to your snow load. Very, very convenient.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-07-2018, 05:27 PM)Admiral Wrote: OH, forgot.  Hydrostatic tranny is also a big plus, you can set infinite forward speed according to your snow load.  Very, very convenient.

No doubt the Honda is king....just has a hard to swallow price tag. Depends on how much one uses it.

I use my blowers for clearing close to the buildings, easier than a shovel. Then I use warmer methods.

Yamaha also makes some awesome blowers, don't think they sell them here.

Ed
I live in Milwaukee. In 25 years I haven’t needed anything more than the largest Toro single stage. 

Most people around here have a large single stage. 

A couple have two stages and they take quite a while longer to clear a driveway and sidewalk. 

There was one time we had quite a blizzard and drifting. There were spots with 18” of snow in the driveway. I did struggle with that, a big two stage would have been helpful. But in the end, the single stage and my kid with a shovel saved the day. 

Had I gone out earlier and cleared the snow at halfway, I’d have been fine. 

My recollection is we got quite a bit of lake effect snow that time, the forecasts were off so for several hours I was thinking it was going to stop any time. And it just kept coming.
(01-06-2018, 10:21 AM)johndi Wrote: So I think I'm ready to admit that I'm not as young as I used to be and I'm going to buy a snowblower .
I live in a townhouse but this will be used for mine and the 2 adjoining houses as one neighbor is elderly and the other is battling cancer.
I'd appreciate any feedback from those of you that have one.
Thanks

Toro Power Clear 721 QZE. Why? Power, performance, ease of use, dependability, durability and reliable access to maintenance parts. 
Yes
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.