Osage-Orange work
I have an 8" oak log about 16" long in my shop so hard I cut it once, it still sits there after all these years because I like to keep my blades. I know it's oak because it came from cuttings when the tree was cut down. I can barely get a chainsaw through it. I call it rock oak. Someday I'm going to take the challenge and go after it.

I've done orange a few times in the past and don't remember any problems.
(01-07-2018, 11:54 PM)iclark Wrote: I remembered that the jet 1236 is a Reeve's drive, but I had never noticed that cantilever widgit that goes between the toolrest and the banjo before.

First, be sure that you do the lubrication and other maintenance items on the Reeve's drive.

Second, I would guess that the thing that holds the toolrest had a fatigue failure. It would have been having a lot of flexure while roughing a half-log with a scraper.

Once you have a half-log, put it flat side down on the bandsaw table. Cut a circle out of cardboard about the width of the log or a bit smaller. Center that cardboard circle on the half-log and pin it in place through its center with a scratch awl (or a nail). Use the cardboard as a guide to cut out the circular rough for the lathe.

If you are going to rough between centers, remember to remove the bark down to solid wood where the center is going to be on that side.

Will you be using a chuck or a faceplate to turn the bowl once you get it roughed?

I will also echo the "where are you?" question. Lots of us would be willing to give you a hand getting over the initial learning curve safely.
I was using a face plate for the outside and would use chuck for inside.  I am in the Saginaw, Michigan area.  I need to order band saw blades.  What is with the variable teeth blades?  What teeth/inch for what kind of work?  My understanding is limited.  I use the re-saw blades for veneer work?  I believe my Laguna max limit if ¾ inch.  The wheel is about 1-1/8.  Wonder if a 1 inch blade can be used?  I have the resources to make and machine riser blocks for the power head and tail in order to get larger rounds.  I was thinking about getting a motor control (rheostat) for slower speed control.  I guess my low speed is about 500.  
thanks for your time  Peter
Peter

I have not turned much OO but enjoyed it and gave away a few mallets with it.  I also do not do very much scrapping but mostly with a bowl gouge in bowls.

Remember if you use a scrapper it should not be Level but slightly dipped down.  So either raise your tool rest or lower the tool and you will not get a catch with that.

Also with and sharp tools anything can be cut but the secret is to sharpen often and again on the last cut since that leaves the best surface.

I give you a big warm welcome and I really look forward to seeing more of your turnings.

O and last after you get whatever you are turning round turn the lathe up as fast as you feel comfortable and those cuts will be a lot smoother to.

PS - Never cut a log into a bandsaw blade or it will roll on you.  Either cut it when it is standing up or put it on a cradle.  I been there done that and ruined a nice blade.  It was not the blade that cause it but how you presented it to the blade.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
this is what happened to my tool rest holder and the piece I was working on.  It looks like the scraper got hooking on a split and jammed.
(01-08-2018, 10:18 PM)peter-m Wrote: this is what happened to my tool rest holder and the piece I was working on.  It looks like the scraper got hooking on a split and jammed.

Peter

Even with a catch I do not think that should have happened and most likely it was a casting problem.  Get with Jet and send them the picture and they should send you a new one if they do what is right.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Looks like perhaps the toolrest banjo was extended too far from the center of the lathe bed. Need to get it as close as possible to the work piece. But it will get easier.f
Also sad that the beautiful "orange" turns dark with exposure. Don't know if there is a fix.

BTW, Osage Orange was a favorite wood for making bows by Native Americans. The term, "Bois D' Arc" is French for "Wood of the Bow." Some local artisans still use that wood for primitive bows, and use them in competition.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.