Festool
ok, I'm not a Festool user however a friend is getting started buying a couple of pieces. The question came up and we can't get a definitive answer. Did/does Festool sell a belt sander to be used in the USA ? He could really use one if they did/do.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I have never seen it sold in the US. I heard they do or did at some point in Europe.

I would look into offerings from Bosch and Makita. I have a Bosch 4” x 24”. Works well when used with a sanding frame. Even when connected to a Festool vac, dust collection is not as good as a ROS. For that reason when I need heavy removal I use a Festool Rotex.
(01-07-2018, 09:56 AM)museumguy Wrote: ok, I'm not a Festool user however a friend is getting started buying a couple of pieces. The question came up and we can't get a definitive answer. Did/does Festool sell a belt sander to be used in the USA ? He could really use one if they did/do.

Yep, the rotex is the tool for the job.
Not available in North America.
-Marc

Thanks guys, that's what we were finding. Just further confirmation.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(01-07-2018, 11:00 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: Yep, the rotex is the tool for the job.

A Rotex is not the same as a belt sander and does not do some of the jobs that a belt sander can do.

And no, Festool does not sell any belt sander in US.

Simon
(01-08-2018, 08:43 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: A Rotex is not the same as a belt sander and does not do some of the jobs that a belt sander can do.

And no, Festool does not sell any belt sander in US.

Simon

I’m curious. What can a belt sander do that a rotex can’t?
Nothing per se but it will waste away the wood a helluva lot faster than a Rotex. A Rotex will do it quickly and agressively and far more controllably but a belt sander will still, pardon the pun, leave it in the dust. (I have an RO150 and RO90)

Edit: and a belt sander will sand concave edges. That would be a bit of a trick with a Rotex
-Marc

There are two Festool sanders for sale on eBay, a used one from New York and a new one from Italy. 240 volts.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4...r&_sacat=0
(01-19-2018, 12:09 AM)Wipedout Wrote: I’m curious. What can a belt sander do that a rotex can’t?

apart from concave and inside curves, a belt sander can handle metal grinding jobs (changing the bevel angle of a chisel for example) much better and can be mounted on its side for use.

Simon