Kitchen Renovation
This is not meant as "the" or even "a" way to renovate a 50 y/o kitchen.  I originally only intended to replace the old cabinets with new ones and new appliances.  The house was built in 1967 and I bought it from the original owner.  She was moving into an assisted living facility.  It will be my daughter's house when I'm finished.

After removing the cabinets, the subfloor under the sink was nearly gone.  From leaks over the years I'm sure.  There were several layers of linoleum that you can see I had to cut through.  I used a circular saw set at 7/8" to cut through the linoleum and remaining subfloor.  Then I put new 1/2" plywood and 1/4" hardi-backer down before tiling with 12" square tiles.

Then the electrical was in terrible shape.  Only one circuit for the refrigerator, dish washer and range hood.  No GFCI at all.  The good thing is all the plug circuits were 20 amp.  So I took a circuit from the living room and created a GFCI run with 4 duplex plugs along the center wall.  I took the original circuit and made it GFCI and it went to the dishwasher and 2 other duplex plugs on the outside range/sink wall.  I borrowed a plug circuit from a bedroom behind the refrigerator wall for the refrigerator.  

The lighting was near useless.  There was one light over the sink and one in the center of the kitchen.  I replaced the center one with 4 can LED lights which can be seen in one of the last pictures.

I made the cabinets out of 3/4" white melamine (she wants all white cabs).  The face frames are poplar.  The drawers and cab doors are still in the process of being put together (all pieces cut to size).

To be continued. . . Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!

These pictures are of my daughter and 2 granddaughters with the kitchen as it is now.  I'll be constructing the drawers and doors after my mandatory 3 weeks of down-time because of scalp surgery to remove a basil cell carcinoma and some plastic surgery for the skin graft.  Not a major thing, just can't do any woodworking for 2 to 3 weeks.

I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
Very nice!
Awesome job. good luck on the recovery, take it easy and listen to the Dr's.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Nice job... was that black mold on the sheetrock?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(01-07-2018, 04:10 PM)Joel H. Wrote: These pictures are of my daughter and 2 granddaughters with the kitchen as it is now.  I'll be constructing the drawers and doors after my mandatory 3 weeks of down-time because of scalp surgery to remove a basil cell carcinoma and some plastic surgery for the skin graft.  Not a major thing, just can't do any woodworking for 2 to 3 weeks.

I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Joel

Joel,
Those smiles say it all!  Nothing better than helping your family.  Hope your treatment goes well and you're back working soon.
Lonnie
(01-07-2018, 07:33 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Nice job... was that black mold on the sheetrock?

Thanks guys.  Yes I will definitely listen to the Drs.  I learned a long time ago success depends on that!

And Yes that was mold - not sure if it was black mold though.  I replaced most all the drywall on the outside wall and a lot on the Refrigerator wall.  

Also I was asked how I hung the upper cabinets.  I screwed an angled clete on the wall and on the back of the cabinets.  They hung straight and true.  I put a 3" screw into a stud at the bottom of each to secure it more.

Oh and I have to put the backsplash on as well.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
Looks great. I use a similar system for the base. You use the 2x4 frame I screw a cleat to the wall made of 4 layers of plywood. Then to support the front I make a plywood box. Then it can be shined and leveled even with the cleat on the wall. 

One thing I would do different in the future is to increase the height of the toe kick to at least 4" AFF 5" to 5.5" would be ideal. This would reduce the amount of damage I do to the lower doors and drawers because I constantly kick them.
Nicely done...I also want to wish you a speedy and complete recovery on your surgery. I'd say what you ran into with the issues are fairly normal for a 60's era house (having had a couple of them over the years).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-31-2018, 03:17 AM)andreagar Wrote: Splendid work, you are seriously an inspiration for the people looking to "do it yourself" work. However, if you cannot manage "kitchen renovation" yourself then in the recent times availability of pros is available online.

Really not supposed to post adds here
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS