Mechanical thermostat?
PS:. srv...I don't doubt there are some savings to be had with some temperature fluxuating but with a small space I do wonder how much we can logically invest in the "study" and still come out ahead?
(01-09-2018, 07:27 AM)JosephP Wrote: PS:. srv...I don't doubt there are some savings to be had with some temperature fluxuating but with a small space I do wonder how much we can logically invest in the "study" and still come out ahead?

Theoretical savings for this kind of system with unoccupied setback in a commercial building is up to 20%  (Although companies tend to tout higher. Seems like it should be more than 20% as many commercial buildings are only open 10 to 12 hours or so 5 days a week.)  Real world studies by utility companies and others suggest about 6% is what they are getting.

As far as how much you can invest... you will never lose money by turning it off and checking, as least energy wise.   
Again, you may suffer slightly uncomfortable temps while you gather data.  If this is a business building you have to ask if you will lose  customers or productivity if your facility is too cold or hot during a data gathering time.

I spent some time working at the Energy Resource Station in Ankeny, Iowa.  This is a state of the art facility designed solely to study the influence of HVAC, lighting, and such on working conditions and productivity.  They have a lot of data you may be able to access.
(01-08-2018, 01:16 PM)blackhat Wrote: It's called battery day. It can be any day of the year but it's the same day every year. You replace the battery in thermostats, smoke detectors, garage door opener and whatever else on that day. Every year.

Just send them 2 AA batteries for Christmas with a note.    Chances are if you try to input the control voltage (24v  ac) where 3v dc should be you will be replacing the thermostat.    Next time when they say the heat is not working tell them to look at the thermostat.    Roly