Miter box saw sharpening
Looking for someone who can sharpen the saw to my miter box.  Prefer someone close to home if possible.  I live in the center of S.C. and so far have not found anyone close.  However, will consider others.

Thank you,

Herb
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
(01-08-2018, 05:33 PM)Herb Wrote: Looking for someone who can sharpen the saw to my miter box.  Prefer someone close to home if possible.  I live in the center of S.C. and so far have not found anyone close.  However, will consider others.

Thank you,

Herb

Herb,

I'm in Michigan and can sharpen your saw if you're willing to ship it. I do this work on the side, but have sharpened more than 150 saws in just the last couple of years, including several for WN brethren.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Bob knows what he is doing, ship with confidence.

This reminds me, I just put up crown and base in my master bath and my box saw needs a touchup, I'll get to it when the painting is done
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-08-2018, 05:33 PM)Herb Wrote: Looking for someone who can sharpen the saw to my miter box.  Prefer someone close to home if possible.  I live in the center of S.C. and so far have not found anyone close.  However, will consider others.

Thank you,

Herb

I can vouch for Bob Page's work. Its excellent and at reasonable rates.
I have a place...about 20 or so miles from my house...fellow charges $0.60 per inch of teeth on Mitre saws....I might have to wait until warm weather, before I go over there, again......his barn isn't quite all that warm...has done a few of my saws, does a very good job.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(01-08-2018, 10:47 PM)bandit571 Wrote: I have a place...about 20 or so miles from my house...fellow charges $0.60 per inch of teeth on Mitre saws....I might have to wait until warm weather, before I go over there, again......his barn isn't quite all that warm...has done a few of my saws, does a very good job.

Bandit571, do you have any contact information for this person.  I did not see where I could send you a PM.  You may contact me via email if you wish.
herbwofford@gmail.com

Thank you,
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
Place is called: The Cutting Edge, Marysville, OH.    Not sure IF he takes mailed in items.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Yeah, sharpening those long miter saws is a pain. I've done it, but I sure don't enjoy it. Hope Bob or somebody can help you out.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(01-09-2018, 10:36 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Yeah, sharpening those long miter saws is a pain.  I've done it, but I sure don't enjoy it.  Hope Bob or somebody can help you out.

There is no way I would sharpen one of these suckers for $.60 an inch...  wow, that seems like a steal.
(01-10-2018, 12:37 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: There is no way I would sharpen one of these suckers for $.60 an inch...  wow, that seems like a steal.

Well, if its just a single pass with a light touch up, following the existing rake and fleam (which may not be correct!) maybe, and that's presuming the saw teeth are in good and serviceable condition.  And I think we all have to remember, you get what you pay for.  But if any jointing, then reforming of teeth is required, followed by set and sharpening, you'll use up the better part of, or a whole file doing that given a tooth count of over 350 or so, and you will use it up for sure if a third pass is required.  Doing the math the guy is now doing the job for $8 or $9, which I just cannot see happening (figuring a 26" saw, 14pt).  Personally, unless I had previously sharpened the saw and knew the geometry was correct, I wouldn't sharpen a saw unless I jointed, reformed and sharpened the teeth; this is called quality control, and again, you get what you pay for.  A miter box saw is at least a $50-$60 job if done right (i.e., joint, shape, set, sharpen), less the cost of the file; and even that is below market as I expect to spend at least 90 minutes on mine, tweaking it for consistent performance.  And good files cost (with prices going up too), I've seen some guys have started to put the file as an extra line item in their quotes as a consumable.  This is why it pays to learn to sharpen, a skill you will need if you use handsaws to any extent.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis