Instead of slats, raised panels for cradle?
Question 
I'm gonna start building a pair of cradles from the August '87 Wood magazine soon. 

[Image: d4e740da19c2d65e8b54b7d494dbd6e1.jpg]

My question relates to the sides of the basket:  Trying to line up all those slats and spacers AND clamp it all up square terrifies me (it uses a groove instead of individual mortises), even with the use of slow setting epoxy.  I've seen others build cradles with frame and panel doors, so I'm considering the same here.  My first thought was panels with 1/4" plywood panels, but I think I'd rather use solid wood so I can shape the panels.  Any thoughts or advise for me on this?

I've purchased the plans and have already decided on a couple of construction changes.  Instead of using dowels to attach the legs to the feet, I'll use m&t joints.  The stretcher will also be an m&t joint, but will likely use the design that Wood Smith used on their popular design--a wedged knock-down through m&t joint.
Semper fi,
Brad

If you want panels, just use the same technique as building cabinet doors.

I think the whole thing about spindles/slats on cribs for the last 2-3 hundred years, has been so you can see through the crib, instead of having to constantly walk to it and peer into it.
Winkgrin
And....baby can see out of it.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I built the Woodsmith design you referred to with the raised panels. It was the first time I'd ever tried something like raised panels and it took me 3 or 4 tries before I got 2 end pieces that were closed to matched. The whole project was a challenge but the results were outstanding. I built mine out of cherry and bought the kit which included all the turned spindles since I didn't have a wood lathe at the time. Have fun with the project!
From a safety issue I favor the panels.

Getting the slats perfectly aligned is not hard if you change the construction a bit.

Make the frame exactly as if you were installing the panel.  

Make the slats with an undercut on all four sides of each end so that it fits in the slot but has a "shoulder" all around. 

Cut small pieces that fit in the grooves cut in the "rails" and "stiles" between each slat.  If you cut all the spacers the same size the spacing will be perfect.  

A nice tight fit for the spacers will leave only the tiniest of seams.

But be aware that mothers like to have a view of the baby and I suspect that is the reason that the slat construction exists in the first place.

The shaker style cradle had solid sides and can be very beautiful:

[Image: img1252_xl-main.jpg]
Pinterest shows plans for several shaker style cradles.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I built this one for my Grandson years ago, A combination.  Turned out great and can be knocked down to store in the closet between babies.  My daughter still has it and is looking forward to using it with the Third child in the near future.

Big Grin

The cradle is a combination of Brazilian Cherry, Mahogany, and Birdseye Maple.  The spindles weren't that hard to line up as I clamped the upper and lower rails together, and marked all the holes for all four at once, then drilled them on the drill press before removing the clamps. 
Big Grin  The Daughter loved the pendulum cradle design.  When the baby first wakes up, the movement rocks them back to sleep. 
Yes
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I think that would be a beautiful cradle with two panels per side and a central stile.

I did something easier and avoided the slats and spindles. And mom could see her boy just fine.
Big Grin
I built a cradle a long time ago- six solid wood pieces per side. 1/4 thick with 1 inch gaps. Kind of a mix of slats and panels

[quote pid='7574171' dateline='1515531079']
But be aware that mothers like to have a view of the baby and I suspect that is the reason that the slat construction exists in the first place.
[/quote]

Be aware the babies like to see mothers.  A baby who is shut off from the outside world, my become scared and scream.  If the baby can see mother, sometimes they will be content to let mother get some work done.  Not always, but sometimes.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
dg, I'm referring to building the side panels as frame and panel, not the end pieces that attach to the legs.

Broken, that's beautiful! I really like the way it incorporates both. I buoy the Woodsmith cradle fifteen years ago and used spindles in it; drilling holes was less daunting!

DaveR1, I've considered the same; two panels per side. That boat is beautiful!

goalie, I've also considered making the slats much wider to decrease the number of "moving" parts.

Thanks for the tips, gents.
Semper fi,
Brad

Looks like a job for Domino!