Magnetic workl ight question
As I age my eyes could use a little help when doing dovetails and other precise work. I'm thinking a battery operated magnetic based work light that I could move from machine to machine would do the trick. If you use such a light I would like to know what you use and what you think of it. I think a goose necked light would be best.
(01-10-2018, 04:24 PM)JSpill Wrote: As I age my eyes could use a little help when doing dovetails and other precise work. I'm thinking a battery operated magnetic based work light that I could move from machine to machine would do the trick. If you use such a light I would like to know what you use and what you think of it. I think a goose necked light would be best.

I have one of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...at=1,43456

and with the new "tactical" small flashlights, it gives you lots of task lighting, more than I need really.  Very affordable as well. I'm thinking of getting another one .
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-10-2018, 07:01 PM)Admiral Wrote: I have one of these:

and with the new "tactical" small flashlights, it gives you lots of task lighting, more than I need really.  Very affordable as well. I'm thinking of getting another one .

I have the same one,love it.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I find that LED flashlights have a very restricted beam. I have one on my RAS with the beam focused on the cut line and it works fine for that application. Elsewhere, however, I prefer a wider beam. I have two "UberLights" that I use most often (available at Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Reliable-1000TL-U...B001V5Y3GK). They are LED gooseneck lights with multiple LED bulbs. They provide crisp, clean light and illuminate a significantly larger area than flashlights. Mine have a threaded stud base. One is fitted with a base that works with the dog holes on my workbench and I can easily reposition it wherever I have a dog hole to focus light where I need it. The other is attached to the dust hood on my table saw. The long flexible neck comes in handy for both applications. The light also comes with a C clamp base. Amazon lists what appears to be a clone made by a different company that is considerably less expensive that the original UberLight. I have no experience with the clone so I can't offer any comment on it. I've never found magnetic bases to be very satisfactory. They always seem to slip out of position on my machines.

[Image: 24765695697_b9201373a7_z.jpg]IMG_0212 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

[Image: 39624237992_142a15572f_z.jpg]IMG_0169 by Hank Knight, on Flickr
(01-11-2018, 11:24 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: I find that  LED flashlights have a very restricted beam. 

The newer ones have a zoom in and out feature which makes them pretty versatile.  I know what you are talking about though, my older LEDs were not like the new ones and had a narrow beam, but once I chucked a newer design with the zoom in, it make all the difference.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-11-2018, 04:55 PM)Admiral Wrote: The newer ones have a zoom in and out feature which makes them pretty versatile.  I know what you are talking about though, my older LEDs were not like the new ones and had a narrow beam, but once I chucked a newer design with the zoom in, it make all the difference.

I also have the Lee Valley Led light and find it great . It moves about the shop from drill press to band saw then over to the MFT table , even had it inside the table saw one day when I was working on it
(01-10-2018, 07:01 PM)Admiral Wrote: I have one of these:

I have several of those and like them. One lives on the 8" grinder with (IIRC) a 500 lumen flashlight. That helps a lot when sharpening.

They are also helpfl for picking up small items when dropped into shavings.

For the lathe, I use one of the corded gooseneck lights from Woodturning Wonders on the headstock and a good 3-panel LED tripod worklight from Ace Hardware behind the bed.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
For what it's worth, I made two of these that cover the L shaped bench and the center bench.  The lights of course swivel as well, so it can be positioned to shine underneath as well, on most things. Takes a regular bulb you don't have to pay 20 bucks for a replacement.

The base has a spring assist.

Just FYI.

[Image: ZzQentU.jpg]