Water based poly dried before leveling
    I used the Giani countertop granite kit.  The final finish step is to use their water based poly with a micro fiber roller.  

I rolled the first coat, it was even and since I used a roller, there were no brush marks and took care to not create lanes (so far so good), but looked coarse, I sanded lightly and rolled on the second coat.  It dried quickly (each time) but now the finish looks very coarse.  

Any suggestions.  Note - I am also a novice / beginner with wood finishing.  Attaching a picture.  Thanks.
Is there an extender you can add to slow the drying time?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I think I’d try a larger T handle foam pad applicator and pour the finish straight on to the top. Work it around quickly but make sure you aren’t spreading it too thin. Check for a wet mil thickness recommendation on the canister. They sell wet mil finish gauges you dip in the finish. You are most likely putting it on too thin and it’s probably a pretty fast drying finish like most WB products. Put it on too thin and it dries before leveling. An extender is also a good idea.

Not to be a wise guy but why do you need to seal it?  All the granite I've bought was sealed by the fabricator.  My kitchen counters are 22 years old now and still look great.  

As this point I'd be tempted to carefully sand what you have flat and then use a different method of application as KSF suggested.  Extender would be a good idea, too, if it's offered.  I doubt you'll be able to get a flat finish just by applying more coats.  

John
(01-13-2018, 04:16 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Not to be a wise guy but why do you need to seal it?  All the granite I've bought was sealed by the fabricator.  My kitchen counters are 22 years old now and still look great.  

As this point I'd be tempted to carefully sand what you have flat and then use a different method of application as KSF suggested.  Extender would be a good idea, too, if it's offered.  I doubt you'll be able to get a flat finish just by applying more coats.  

John

It's not granite.   It is a painted finish which he did a good job on making it look like the real thing.   Roly
(01-13-2018, 06:31 PM)Roly Wrote: It's not granite.   It is a painted finish which he did a good job on making it look like the real thing.   Roly

Thanks for the education.  I had no clue.  

John
Another tip with finishing fast drying finishes: Apply it to a recommended thickness and then leave it alone. Going over it multiple times is only screwing it up. Apply it quickly and somewhat thick and then leave it alone to level out and cure. Many people not only under apply the material but then they over manipulate it thinking they’re smoothing it out.

When trying to achieve a smooth and flat surface you must also consider the surface itself. Was it nice and smooth before you started? Like glass? A rough surface will still be a rough surface despite a new coat of finish.

(01-13-2018, 11:17 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Another tip with finishing fast drying finishes:  Apply it to a recommended thickness and then leave it alone.  Going over it multiple times is only screwing it up.  Apply it quickly and somewhat thick and then leave it alone to level out and cure.  Many people not only under apply the material but then they over manipulate it thinking they’re smoothing it out.  

When trying to achieve a smooth and flat surface you must also consider the surface itself.  Was it nice and smooth before you started?  Like glass?  A rough surface will still be a rough surface despite a new coat of finish.

Thanks all for the feedback.  I have sanded it down a bit to smoothen out the surface.  

I am debating if switching to oil based poly with a foam roller would help here, or something like the Varathane Triple Thick (I believe this is still water based poly).

I am looking to get to a truly glossy finish (much like a true countertop).  Thanks again.
Put down a coat of Sealcoat, and then a heavy coat of oil base.  Put on enough to allow gravity to level the finish.  

Wait 7 days before putting it into service for full cure.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.