Show me your homemade bowl thickness gauges !
Big Grin 
I saw a really slick bowl thickness gauge for sale at our favorite lathe supply store. It is $70... and I thought it can't be that hard to make one just like that.

So... I thought I would come to this forum and ask you guys to show whatever creations you have made.
From Pintrest

Attached Files Image(s)

I have this pair of calipers from Penn state industries

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-13-2018, 07:22 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: I have this pair of calipers from Penn state industries

Thank you Dusty for the replies. I have a similar tool as this photo, but it is made so cheaply, at the points, the metal flexes out to the side and doesn't give an accurate reading.

I like your first message with the drawing/sketch, it's on my "to do" list.

Thanks. 
Smile
(01-13-2018, 06:54 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: From Pintrest

That is about the exact some one I drew up several years ago and have never gotten around to getting the steel to bend it or make the sleeve to put the other rod in.
I was going to make the curved lip at 3/4" tho.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin you don't need a tube.
You could use a pen blank.
Drill a hole through it the same diameter of your dowel.
Then drill a small hole next to that the diameter of your wire.
A thick coat hanger wire would work for the wire.
I have a similar pair of calipers that Dusty linked to. Strange thing, when I started actually using them my turning got more consistent....