India's best woorcarvers
(01-14-2018, 01:20 AM)AHill Wrote: I had to turn the music off after about a minute, but those guys are pretty talented.

As far as eating in the field goes, we had C-Rats when I first went on active duty.  We'd put the cans on the exhaust manifold of a 10KW generator.  The vibration from the generator rotated the can nicely, and in 5 minutes, you had piping hot food.  Then the Army came up with MREs.  What genius thought soldiers were gonna like that nasty stuff?  They had lots of calories but no bulk, so you finished a meal and still felt hungry.  Understandable they wanted to keep the weight down (logistics of transporting 1000's of MREs all over creation).  They reformulated them to add bulk, and introduced more variety in the meal choices.  Still never could find a decent way to heat them up when I was on active duty.  Now a box of MRE's comes with heating tabs.  They say you have to pay attention to the three "M's":  Meals, Money, and Mail.  Heck, you used to get real, no kidding hot meals in the field cooked by real people with real food.  Those days are long gone.

I once tossed an MRE #2 (Corned Beef Hash I think) to a youngster in Bosnia in 1996. He looked at the number..... tossed it back.
That was the same year I opened one of the MRE's and it had a 1984 summer olympic pack of M&Ms inside. I woulda traded those for a 5 pack of lucky strikes if the old rats were still available.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(01-14-2018, 06:30 PM)jppierson Wrote: I once tossed an MRE #2 (Corned Beef Hash I think) to a youngster in Bosnia in 1996.  He looked at the number..... tossed it back.
That was the same year I opened one of the MRE's and it had a 1984 summer olympic pack of M&Ms inside.  I woulda traded those for a 5 pack of lucky strikes if the old rats were still available.
I would have traded some 1942 lard patties for that Corned Beef Hash!!! Two cans of 'em for one can of beanie weenies!!! I still like beanie weenies but those patties would gag a maggot!
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

From the topic title I thought this thread was about Indiana Carvers. Sort of a shock when opening the link.