Looking to upgrade to a better miter saw
Well, in the next few months I'm looking to upgrade to a better miter saw. My 11-year old Ridgid 10", besides having limited capacity (6" wide), just isn't the best quality. The blade guard doesn't retract automatically and moves stiffly, as does the miter table. Plus, the fences aren't co-planar and don't look to be independent from one another, and the positive stops are nowhere near accurate. It's just nowhere near up to par with what I need or want. 

The first, most obvious requirement is some kind of sliding model. I don't think I need a 12", as pretty much any 10" slider will cut to around 12" wide or so. Not that I wouldn't be willing to go with a 12", but it's not a necessity to have that size of blade. I also need something that, unlike my Ridgid, won't have basic functions crap out on me within the first year of use. 

Of course, as some probably could have predicted from the get-go if you've read other threads of mine, pretty much every saw that fits these specs is a couple hundred more than I'd want to spend. I'm honestly turned off of Ridgid and Ryobi saws based on my current miter saw and previous table saw, and the reviews for the Ryobi miter saws don't look very encouraging. The same goes for Craftsmen sliders, and as far as Harbor Freight, forget it. Those miter saws seem like they're more fit for the hobbyist doing rough carpentry, not for long term use demanding reliable accuracy (like for full-time workers or, in my case, hobbyist furniture builders). A lot of reviews after a year or more of use for those saws has shown me this. One that I was looking into was Hitachi's 8.5" slider, as it's got a 12" crosscut capacity and a 3.25" depth capacity, which is thicker than stuff I use 99.9% of the time anyway. Plus it is only $299 new. However, it seems like it might be a bit under-powered given its amp rating and quite a few comments and reviews on Amazon are disconcerting. Another I was tempted by was DeWalt's 709 model. It's got pretty much perfect reviews on Amazon and Youtube, and at times it dips into the mid $300's, but despite being a 12" slider it's only got 9.5" capacity when making a square cut. I'd want at least 10"-11". I know that's just a half inch or so, but it's nice to have that extra capacity.

Thus, I've kind of been looking into getting a used one. I've seen well-reviewed models such as Hitachi 12" sliders as well as one Milwaukee 12" slider and, more recently, a couple of DeWalt 708 12" sliders. For the most part, these seem to go for $250-$350, which is good. I'm wondering, though, what other models to look out for and maybe which ones to avoid. I'm looking on craigslist, although if anybody knows of any used tool sales companies (especially if they ship to your house), that'd work as long as they're in the same $250-$350 range. I'd also be open to factory refurbished models. I'm sorry if my refusal to spend $400+ on a quality sliding miter saw is annoying, but that's just how I function, haha.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
I have a Makita LS1013.  I have owned it more than 10 years and it is still working like the first day I got it.  I paid $400 for it new.  Dust collection is not great but it is highly accurate and easy to use.

Lonnie
Have you checked out CPO for reconditioned saws? https://www.cpooutlets.com/reconditioned...lt,sc.html

I've only bought a reconditioned RO sander, and haven't had any problems with it in the ten or so years that I've had it.
I've seen quite a few great reviews for CPO.
I'm going to be looking soon for a miter saw as well.  I've narrowed down my choices to a Makita or Bosch and I'm watching for sales.  The Makita is recommended by two builders/framers I know.  One of them also owns some Festool tools, but he said he would get the Makita over the Festool.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
(01-13-2018, 05:44 PM)BaileyNo5 Wrote: I'm going to be looking soon for a miter saw as well.  I've narrowed down my choices to a Makita or Bosch and I'm watching for sales.  The Makita is recommended by two builders/framers I know.  One of them also owns some Festool tools, but he said he would get the Makita over the Festool.

My local OSH had the DeWalt 718 12" Slider for $200 off the normal price this last Christmas! In other words, $400 instead of $600! I think Hitachi's 12", which had great reviews, was around $370 around Christmas on Amazon, too, so keep looking out for deals!

As for two of the saws you mentioned, I have seen both the Bosch Glide and Festool Kapex in person and tried the plunge and sliding action. It was in a tool store, so I couldn't actually make any cuts on them, but both felt VERY smooth when plunging and sliding, especially the Bosch. I'd say the Bosch Glide is the smoothest sliding/gliding saw I've ever experienced, and the Kapex was fairly close. There seems to be a bit of opportunity for deflection with the Bosch. I tried pulling it out to its farthest point and pushing left and right, and there was maybe like a 32nd or so of play if I REALLY tried to push it to one side. I'm sure you could force most sliding miter saws to do that when pulled all the way out, though. The Kapex I tried out didn't move AT ALL. Maybe to a microscopic degree, but I couldn't see any play with my eyes. In fact, I feel that if I kept trying to push it I would have caused some damage to it. However, I have heard that the Kapex, despite its price, doesn't have the most long-lasting motor. Even so, both are pretty much top of the line. I think they're basically the Cadillac (Bosch) and Rolls Royce (Festool) of miter saws. They come in at around $650 and $1500 respectively, though, so they're WAY out of my price range.

To the first person to reply here, the reviews on that Makita seem to be fairly mixed, so I'll have to do some more research on why before I consider that model. If it looks fine or if the problem wasn't too major, I'll keep that model in mind! 

EDIT: I did some research on CPO, and although their prices look great, the reviews I've seen for the company are HORRIBLE. Hitachi's 12" slider on Amazon is around $399 right now. Although that's a little bit above what I'd want to spend, I don't want to risk mail ordering from a company with that kind of reviews. I think I could just keep looking for deals on new or other used ones. I found a place called Tools Plus that doesn't have perfect ratings, but they are much better than CPO.
Near future projects:

Think about a 12" non-slider. Gives you 8" of crosscut, and frankly I've never had the need to exceed that. Sliders have too many moving parts to come out of alignment for my tastes, I like to keep it simple.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have the 12" Makita and love it. It's not a slider so it has a smaller footprint, lighter weight and is more accurate. I have a tablesaw sled if I need wide crosscuts.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(01-13-2018, 07:08 PM)Admiral Wrote: Think about a 12" non-slider.  Gives you 8" of crosscut, and frankly I've never had the need to exceed that.  Sliders have too many moving parts to come out of alignment for my tastes, I like to keep it simple.

As I pointed out in a fairly recent thread about jointers, pretty much everything I work with is between 6" and 10" wide, so I'd want something that can cut to around 10" wide. I know Hitachi has a 15" non-slider, which I'm sure can cut a pretty wide board, but it's like $900 new and doesn't seem to do anything except for 90 degree cuts. Plus it looks like something you'd see in Star Wars 
Big Grin . I can see where you're coming from with the extra moving parts, though. 

With new tools, the only two that look like they'd happen for me in terms of sliders are the DeWalt 709 and the Hitachi 12" slider, as those can go for $400 and if there are deals in play even less. DeWalt's 709 seems to have a contradiction in specs, though...it says on their site that the maximum 90 capacity is 9.5 inches on the left column of specs and 2x10 on the right column with dimensional lumber. Which is right? Since the rails on the 709 seem to be shorter, that could allow for less opportunity for warping or going out of alignment (compared to longer rails), and it says there's a "back fence" option that allows for a 12" cut capacity, so it could be another good option. As I said before, it went for like $370 around Christmas, and so did the Hitachi 12", so if that happens again in the next few months, I could skip getting a used one! DeWalt's 10" slider sounds great, but I've never seen it go lower than like $500 new. 

Other than those models as well as the DW708, Milwaukee 12" and possibly the Makita slider already suggested, what else should I look for? As much as I'm more used to a 10" blade, a lot of 10" sliders besides the DeWalt 717 don't seem to have that great of reviews for some reason.
Near future projects:

+1 for Makita. I have a 12" non-slider miter saw which I purchased 10 years ago and a track saw which I purchased 4 years ago. It's the perfect combination for the type of woodworking I do.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS1221-12-...B0000DD5S7

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-SP6000J1-2...B00CHN6L74
(01-13-2018, 09:14 PM)Lynden Wrote: +1 for Makita. I have a 12" non-slider miter saw which I purchased 10 years ago and a track saw which I purchased 4 years ago. It's the perfect combination for the type of woodworking I do.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS1221-12-...B0000DD5S7

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-SP6000J1-2...B00CHN6L74

I think I saw that track saw reviewed in an issue of WOOD magazine. Definitely not something in my price range but IIRC it's great quality!

That miter saw looks like it might be JUST short of the capacity I need for 6-10" wide lumber. However, since so many are suggesting Makita, I looked up their current 10" slider, which I'm guessing is the newer version of the one the first responding poster suggested earlier. Looks like it's got great reviews! It's out of my price range new, but if I find a refurbished or used one it could be a great option!

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS1016L-10...+miter+saw
Near future projects: