Can We Discuss Drill Bits?
Do you have a buddy with a CNC router?  This is the kind of job that they are perfectly suited for

Lawrence
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6
As far as twist bits, recently I was told that, for wood, to only use black oxide coated bits and that titanium (or otherwise coated) bits are for metal. Jack-has any sales person ever told you that, or was a sale being pushed on me (didn't happen)?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Ding-Ding-Ding, we have a winner!
Winkgrin Through my own visualizations, a properly sized transfer punch indeed appears to provide the most appropriate solution. This also appears to be one of those "RARE" situations where Harbor Freight can actually provide a suitable product for only semi-occasional use!

For making and utilizing this template for a "one off" operation, it would be simple enough to just drill the "small" holes first, in both the template and body and then open up the holes in the template to accept the mounting screws. To use said template for repeated mounting and operations, a transfer punch seems the most appropriate tool! And while double stick tape would "LIKELYsuffice for holding it in place, securing it SOLIDLY with the mounting screws seems like a smarter way to make the routing operation safer and closer to foolproof.

My sincerest thanks to all for taking the time to visualize and understand my dilemma and questions surrounding it!

Thanks Again,
Gene
Gene

"Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
One additional thought -- are you using a hand-held drill or a drill press? A good drill press with minimal "run-out" sounds like it would be a good tool for this application.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Not to brag (yeah right, I'm a card carrying gloater), but I have a well tuned '66, PM1150 that my neighbor gave me for free, with 0.0004" runout at 3" below the chuck!! 
Winkgrin
Big Grin And yes, that's three zeros past the decimal point and before the four! Smooth as silk!
Thanks Again Folks!
Gene
Gene

(01-14-2018, 01:17 PM)Tony Z Wrote: As far as twist bits, recently I was told that, for wood, to only use black oxide coated bits and that titanium (or otherwise coated) bits are for metal.  Jack-has any sales person ever told you that, or was a sale being pushed on me (didn't happen)?

"Jack-has any sales person ever told you that, or was a sale being pushed on me (didn't happen)?"

Tony, a salesman would have to prove that to me..I just don't buy that...I can't see where it would make a dime's worth of difference.

BTW, If a Lawson Products salesman ever comes to see you, I recommend checking out his line of products..They sell HSS drill bits that must be made out of Crypton !!! They can drill Grade 8 bolts like they were butter !!!!! And their hacksaw blades are just as good!!!!..After testing them in my shop for a month or so, they performed as advertised..We used lots of grade 8 bolts in our derricks and man-lifts and sometimes had to drill them and cut them out. Anytime he had something new, he would come see me and leave it for me to test out in my shop...I am not wild about talking to every salesman, but I listened to him when he had something to say...
...I can also highly recommend Schaeffer Moly products...Changing to their products saved us many thousands of dollars in parts and labor..Their Hi-pressure Moly-lube was fantastic..once we started using it on our boom extensions, all the galling and spinning bushings was eliminated..Sometimes you do get what you pay for !!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

A side question here: Is 450 RPM too fast to spin a 1/2" Forstner bit in woods such as ash, alder, maple and mahogany? Or can I do okay by being careful of the feed rate?
Thanks In Advance!
Gene
Gene

(01-15-2018, 07:46 PM)MoreToolsForMe Wrote: A side question here: Is 450 RPM too fast to spin a 1/2" Forstner bit in woods such as ash, alder, maple and mahogany? Or can I do okay by being careful of the feed rate?
Thanks In Advance!
Gene
The wood {or metal} will tell you what feed rate is best..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Here's a speed chart for drill bits in various materials:

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/content...-speed.pdf
(01-14-2018, 01:43 PM)MoreToolsForMe Wrote: This also appears to be one of those "RARE" situations where Harbor Freight can actually provide a suitable product for only semi-occasional use!

You are correct.  I suggested a transfer punch, but did not have any myself.  I stopped by HF this week and picked up a set.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe