Two story shop question.
I am looking at the possibility of moving my shop to a existing building that is two stories high.  I would like to utilize both floors so that would mean finding a way to easily transport items from one floor to the other.  I could put all the machines on one floor and then have assembly and finishing on the other.

Has anyone else faced this problem?

I was thinking about looking for a hydraulic lift like out of a garage, build a platform on it and using that as an "elevator".  Obviously there would probably be issues that would have to be dealt with but I think it could work.

Any ideas from the Woodnet brain trust?

TIA

Toney
I knew a guy that was in the business.  He had a two story shop.

All of the "small stuff" was on the second floor.

Scroll saw
Lathe
Oscillating sander

All of his small projects were done up there and he just carried the material up the stairs and the projects back down.

Picture frames
Jewelry boxes
Lamps
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(01-14-2018, 09:29 AM)iublue Wrote: I am looking at the possibility of moving my shop to a existing building that is two stories high.  I would like to utilize both floors so that would mean finding a way to easily transport items from one floor to the other.  I could put all the machines on one floor and then have assembly and finishing on the other.

I was thinking about looking for a hydraulic lift like out of a garage, build a platform on it and using that as an "elevator".  Obviously there would probably be issues that would have to be dealt with but I think it could work.

TIA

Toney

Hmmm, never considered it, but here's my brain f-a-r-t-s:  first, before you do extensive renovation like a lift, you better either own the building, or have a long term lease, as a lift installation might be pricey, and depending on the ceiling height on the first floor, cost prohibitive.  Second, it would be easier to get finished pieces out of the building if you assembled and finished on the first floor, and moving "parts" from the second to the first could be handled with a trap door type of setup, and maybe a platform of sorts with electric chain hoists.  This would require moving machinery up to the second floor, and are the floors stout enough to handle the weight?  Alternatively, if machines were on the first floor, and assembly on the second, its much more difficult to move out finished pieces; is it possible to put a door in the second floor, with a trolly rail sticking out, and again use hoists to lower?  If you have the floor space, it might just be easier and cheaper to build a wide staircase at the rear, you give up floor space on both floors, don't know if that is a problem or not.  

End of brain f-a-r-t.....
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-14-2018, 09:29 AM)iublue Wrote: I am looking at the possibility of moving my shop to a existing building that is two stories high.  I would like to utilize both floors so that would mean finding a way to easily transport items from one floor to the other.  I could put all the machines on one floor and then have assembly and finishing on the other.

TIA

Toney

I did it for 15 years, kept all my tools on the ground floor and used the upper for overflow lumber and all finished cabinets. I used a winch. it can work. but it ain't fun. ALLOT of extra work is required as you can imagine. ALLOT of up and down. remember time is money.
NEVER again
No  now on one concrete floor 48 x 56 building and everything goes on carts and is wheeled from one place to another 
Yes  My advice is, don't do it if it can be avoided, you will pay for it in the long run.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Is this for business or hobby use?

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I wouldn't do it. I don't like things *that* unhandy.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

David Boeff, an 18th century period furniture builder has a two story shop at his home. Some of you may know David through SAPFM.
He gives a video tour through his shop here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBP0YdsamaE
Build a barn/attic elevator(lift). Can be built inside or attached to the outside of the building. Lots of good ideas on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjlZHgo2w-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqU2GU1LroQ

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...c+elevator

TIA

Toney

Do realize a hydraulic lift has a cylinder the length of the travel. The cylinder goes below the first floor which entails a deep excavation. I would look for a one story building. 

mike
Good point on the length of the cylinder.  I failed to mention that the building also has a basement.